Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Running On Autumn-matic

It has been a rather sleepy kind of week. Every morning seems darker than the day before, and each morning the bed feels more cozy. I have been squeaking out each moment of sleep and rising just in time to pull on my clothes and wash my face. Emma arrives at the door while it is still dark. I am eagerly awaiting Saturday night when I can turn my clock back and catch that extra hour of sleep. Maybe the sun will actually be rising by the time the alarm goes off on Monday.

Rain was on order this morning. One would never know Ben and Hannah raked leaves just the other day. The lawn is covered with a thick wet carpet of gold and orange. The driveway has all but disappeared. (Okay, so maybe it has disappeared.) It's so pretty! We will need some dry, windy days if we are to have any more fun jumping into fluffy piles of freshly fallen leaves. We can always hope.

Tomorrow is Joshua's birthday. I can't believe that little guy is turning two already. I guess that makes me an official Grandma. No denying it anymore, not that I ever tried. The title is getting easier to bear and sounding sweeter all the time. I'm still not sure I'm old enough to be a grandma, but I do like rocking chairs and wrapping up in a cozy blanket on cold days. I have about a dozen pairs of reading glasses lying about and can't read a lick without them. I suppose I must qualify as a grandma even if I don't have gray hair.

4 comments:

  1. My God that is a pretty picture. It reminds me of the side barn when I was a kid. We put the hogs out there and the sheep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Papa. I passed by this barn too many times without my camera. This was taken on the very last day of Hannah's soccer. I like it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Martha you are a Gramma all right! You are the good kind of Gramma, as my kids would say!!! The story telling, playing-with-kids kind of Gramma. It has nothing to do with the gray hair or the rocking chair. I think it is nice that you are a Gramma and still so young. And oh dear do I know what you mean about getting out of bed in the morning....I have to talk myself into it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss the sun, too! And the extra hour of sleep will be wonderful, I agree.
    I think "Grandma" is a wonderful title. I hope I can be called by that, or the equivalent, one day. ☺

    ReplyDelete