Wednesday, October 14, 2009

God Be With You

No video to watch, just a song to listen to. Poor quality here, but touching none the less.


It is impossible to convey all the thoughts and emotions running through us these past several weeks. We haven't yet completed this journey of saying goodbye, but as I go through papers, journals, songs, and photos, a clearer picture begins to form in my mind and I realize just what kind of man my father was. I am amazed at what my dad left behind to encourage us, not just words spoken but a life lived. He was dedicated, constant, meticulous, committed, consistent, steady...

I have been slowly reading through one of my father's old diaries. Though he kept one as an older teen and young man, I chose to start at the year of my birth. I found his entries to convey the man I knew and loved. I had to smile when he mentioned certain Bible passages, an "itch" to go fishing, and splitting wood. He wrote of spending time with his kids; reading books, drawing pictures, playing blocks and tinker toys, and showing slides. Each evening he shared some time and a cup of tea with Mom. He worked hard and often fell into bed exhausted. He struggled with his job, how to help his handicapped son, extended family relationships, and called upon God for strength to get through dark times.

I am ashamed to say that I have not followed very well in my father's footsteps. There have been too many times when I have not spoken for Jesus, have not shared His love, and have been afraid to speak His name. Writing here is not the same as sharing with people face to face. I pray God will forgive me and instill in my heart a new boldness to share the gospel.

6 comments:

  1. Following in his footsteps will be a challenge for you, but I don't think God wanted it to be easy to lead others to the light. You keep me for one lookin" up. hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martha,

    You have been such a blessing to me in just the short time I have been following your blog. I want to thank you for that.

    May the Lord continue to bless you as you wait upon Him and travel through this time of loss.

    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been thinking very much since his death about the legacy he left behind, and what kind of legacy I will leave one day.

    I read part of a diary of his today too. Can't wait to read more. I miss him so much. In a way I can't believe he's been gone just over 2 weeks already and then again, it seems like forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judi and Joy, I am blessed to have been an encouragement to you. You are also a blessing to me. I truly do love those who share this blog with me.

    Rachel, we have been wondering the same.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Makin' me cry again. I liked this post and hearing Grandpa sing again. Can I have a copy of a cd when you get them made?

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I can get the CD drawer opened. It's stuck. But Nathan has some on a CD and maybe he'll make you a copy at church.

    ReplyDelete