Saturday, October 24, 2009

Reflecting

Objects in mirror are closer than they appear...

I have been doing much reflecting these past weeks. I've learned some things about myself and some things about others. I've faced grief in a new way and come to the conclusion that there is much I do not know or understand about the process. Some people cry and others do not; some are not afraid to grieve publicly and others prefer solitude; there are those who surround themselves with memories and others who shut them out. I cry, and although in times past I often hid my grief, I am no longer embarrassed by my own tears. Memories are a comfort to me; pictures, videos, audio tapes, and old journals all bring my dad close again. They instill in me once more his great faith in Christ and keep that Dad connection that was so special. I pray I will not cause pain in the hearts those who are also grieving and that as I reflect on Dad's life, he will continue to be an encouragement to others.

I will miss him every day for the rest of my life.

9 comments:

  1. I've been missing him an extra lot for some reason today. I bought a picture box from Hobby Lobby just a bit ago, to hold all my cards that people sent to me when he was sick and after he died, the newspaper clippings, the obituary guest book, a harmonica of his, and his music (which I will listen to forever too even though it makes me miss him even more)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart goes out to you and your family -- losing someone so very dear. I'll continue to pray for the Lord's comfort and strength for you and yours. Psalm 61:2

    ReplyDelete
  3. Martha you write so beautifully. Your testimony and tribute to your Dad have been so touching.

    I always love your pictures! I especially love the one on this post.
    Your writing and photography, your way with words are a gift. I think they must have been genetically given, and I am wondering from whence they came?

    From my heart~~Joy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't want to ever stop missing him. I love him too much.

    "When my heart is overwhelmed, lead me to the Rock that is higher than I." (I'm guessing, Judy C. Those two verses are some of the best when hearts are hurting...)

    Thank you, Joy. I'll be on the lookout for whoever it was that passed this love of writing down to me... The artists I know, the writers I know not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I missed him extra today too...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pain mellows, but the need, the want, the ache are a constant as is the love. hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Martha, our parents passed away 3years ago for my mother, going on 3 for my dad.. a little over 5 months apart. I'm GLAD I miss them!! I remember little things, big things, it doesn't matter. I wish they could still be here, of course, but God has made it so these earthly bodies can't last forever! I'm with you, I never want to stop missing them, or remembering them, it's because we love them forever! We have our lives to live, but we honor them with the memories. Just the other night, as I was sorting through some random stuff, I came across a picture of my father with my oldest daughter and a nephew as little babies, and it caught me by surprise how much I do miss them! And that's good, and it's okay! And I plan to continue to miss them and think of them.. they're a big part of my life. Life does go on, as they say, and so we keep the memories alive. I've been thinking of you, you're so blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that is a great idea, Rach. I think I will copy you.

    I'm not sure how I grieve yet. Sometimes I cry and visit with people...other times I prefer to go take a walk or browse by myself in an antique shop or something. Or...I work on my artwork. I'd like to do a pencil drawing of his cowboy boots.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Martha, I have found that I love talking about my parents, especially with my siblings. I love it too when the kids remember things about Grampa and Gramma. I still get teary-eyed when something catches me by surprise and really reminds me of them...

    ReplyDelete