Friday, October 23, 2009

The Birthday Blues

I hadn't planned to write a second post today, but I was looking through some old photos and found this treasure. She was about to turn three and I wanted to make her birthday special so I asked her what color cake she wanted. Deductive reasoning had already been in my favor; pink- strawberry or cherry, yellow- lemon, green- pistachio, orange- orange, brown- chocolate... I secretly hoped she wouldn't pick blue, but my dear little darling did some quick thinking of her own and came up with the one color cake she had never seen. Blue! So, I bought a white cake mix and added some blue food coloring. Her father was not impressed.
Good thing her grandpa was easily amused. He was not fazed at all by the blue cake, which this little girl thought was oh, so special. She beamed as we sang her birthday song and thought herself quite brilliant to have decided on a blue cake. (Wouldn't you know it? When her big brother Dave turned three, he picked pink.)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BETHANY!!!

5 comments:

  1. Cute pics! Funny that she picked blue and Dave picked pink. Michael used to tell me that his favorite colors were pink and purple. That changed when he was about 4 1/2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Bethany! My Emily is 24, too, and pumpkin pie is always her first pick! Martha, I had to laugh because I also just turned 24! How can that be?

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW - you have lots of fall birthdays, M. Like me in the summer. I hope they are lifting spirits for you all, and helping to recall memories.

    ReplyDelete