Friday, October 30, 2009

Falling in Love

It would have been an absolutely incredible day to go out for a ride, but I woke up with a tremendous headache and opted to sleep in the chair while the girls destroyed my living room instead. By about 10:30 I was feeling much better and decided maybe we should at least go out in the yard, get some fresh air and enjoy the falling leaves. I grabbed my laundry basket and picked the few remaining apples off my little trees. Most of them have already dropped off on their own as fall has gotten away from me this year. Rather than three full baskets, I have a half of one, and I think that's probably enough.
It turned out to be a Ladybug kind of day as several were crawling up the sides and posts of Hannah's Place, and on the fence pieces leaning against the back. There wasn't an overabundance of bugs, just enough for a few pictures. The girls found it fun to run in and out of Hannah's little house. They tried out the hammock inside, looked out the windows, and hollered to me whenever they found another ladybug.
While they were busy playing, I decided to clean out my little garden boxes. I pulled up dead vegetable plants and dried out flowers, and tossed rotten tomatoes into a wheelbarrow. My tomato cages were stowed in the barn for next year. I even decided to cover the boxes with plastic to try and keep the cats out and the weeds down.
Maybe next summer I will do a better job with my gardens. This year just wasn't a good one for me. We got off to a rough start and although the weather finally warmed up, my enthusiasm never returned. Too many distractions. Oh well, maybe a batch or two of applesauce will make up for feeling unproductive. I sure do have a lot of room in my jelly cabinet. Might as well fill it up with something.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes just setting down and clearing your mind is the most productive thing you can do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will take that into consideration, Papa. :)

    ReplyDelete