Monday, October 19, 2009

Out and About

I planned to stay home today, let the girls play, and catch up on some housework. So far I have folded a load of laundry and filled the sink with hot soapy water... Bethany called this morning wondering if I would like to meet her at Burnap's Farm Market. The sun was shining, the air was crisp, and the outdoors was calling. I decided to pack the girls in the van and meet her and Josh there, and enjoy this beautiful autumn day. The little wooden train was just as much fun today as it was a week and a half ago and the sandbox so much more inviting.

I took a stroll through the market. Though the building is a good shelter from the wind, the concrete floor makes it rather cold inside. Every so often I had to go back out into the sunshine to thaw myself out. In spite of the chill it was a very nice day and the kids didn't seem bothered at all.

We didn't buy much in the market, just a gallon of liquid gold (aka apple cider) and some cranberry orange muffins to share. (I have been gluten-free for almost two months but kind of blew it this weekend and again today. I expect a tummy ache later...) On the way home we picked up a few pears and Bethany bought some apples. Lunch and naps came late this afternoon, but I think the fun in the sun made it all worthwhile.

So that was today's story... I had a busy weekend with Hannah's last soccer practice and game on Saturday morning and another memorial service (for a friend's father) at church in the afternoon. I stayed overnight with Mom on Saturday and took her to church with Dad's car Sunday morning, and we spent the afternoon with her also. Rachel stopped by and we dismantled out photo boards from last weeks service and put the pictures into an album for Mom.

This afternoon I need to see if I can find some good packing boxes for Dad's things. Dave and Leta will be moving in with Mom this week and we must make room for the few things they will be bringing along. This is the hard part, moving Dad's stuff. We aren't quite ready to haul it away and yet it needs to be moved. Mom cannot do this job by herself so we need to step up and help her without unintentionally stepping on her toes.

I can't believe the cold weather is so close at hand. It seems as if we have stepped directly from summer into late autumn. There is no looking back, only forward, so I guess I must enjoy what is left of this colorful season and brace myself for what is too follow. Maybe a big, fat book full of soup recipes would be nice...

5 comments:

  1. It sounds fun. I spent a good part of the day at Mom's. It was an unscheduled visit. I helped her clean. Ran her cleaner, cleaned the bathroom and mopped her bedroom floor. Chased the cobwebs away from the barn boards. Ate lunch with her. I won't be there tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you were out and about, you will have enough time to sit and day dream the hours away in front of a fire. hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Martha,
    I have been off google reader for awhile, and just got caught up on your blog (& Racheals..) and I wanted to send a note of love, compassion, and express my care for you in your grief. Grief stinks. I praise the Lord with you at the same time. Praying as the Lord leads. Sweet Blessings... I enjoyed reading all your posts... I think there were 15!
    love
    darci

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you had a day trip. It sounded so nice. Very cute pictures of the children.

    You know Martha, we still have a garage full of boxes from Don's brother Bob who passed away two years this month. We keep saying we are going to go through them, but we just don't. Someday.

    Loving you today
    Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Priscilla, so glad you got to spend some time with Mom! Hope you didn't get any slivers.

    Judi, it was a wonderful day. Today we are going to the fire hall!

    Darci, thank you for stopping by and taking the time to read and leave a note. It has been a difficult 6-8 weeks, but God is good! I noticed you weren't on the soccer field Saturday. ;)

    Wanda, we just packed up some boxes last night. They are now waiting in the attic. More fun with the kids today. My house may never get clean!

    ReplyDelete