Monday, October 12, 2009

Hidden Treasures

Since today was a holiday there was no school. Since there was no school, I had no little girls to watch. Since I had no little girls to watch, I went to Mom's house to see if I could help her out with any tasks that need accomplishing.
Mom does not want to live alone in her house so she has invited Dave and Leta to come live with her. This is something that we have been thinking and praying about since Dad went to the hospital. It looks like a good deal for all involved and so now we must clean out Dad's room for Dave and Leta, and the small bedroom for Lukie and the new baby. (Baby arrives in the spring.)

Today I decided to help Mom clean out Dad's small closet. We pulled out bags and boxes of collected items and sorted though many years of history in the form of cards, letters, and documents.


Anyway, in the process of cleaning I came across some old drawings Dad did. The top picture he drew when he was about seven years old, the ship as a young man, and the train is very much like those he drew for us when we were children. I love memories and I am enjoying looking through these old treasures.

Jim flew back to Minneapolis this evening. I'm looking forward to his return home again before too long. I still need to make him an apple pie.

8 comments:

  1. So are you framing the art work? I sure would. Good for your mom and the kids, that should work well for all. You won't worry so much and she won't be alone. hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never saw those photos, what a find! Where are the diaries? Is mom hanging onto those for now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, I didn't take anything home. The pictures and box of papers are tucked away, and the diaries are safe too, all four of them. I've been reading through 1964 while I'm at Mom's house. They are hers and I don't want to take them away.

    Judi, it will take a load off of all our minds when we know there is always someone there for Mom to turn to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a treasure you've found!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always loved looking at his old drawings from when he was little. I recognized the circus parade one right away.

    I also loved reading the stories he wrote for school. Did you find any of them?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Priscilla, I don't think I've ever seen those. Where have I been?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haven't found the stories. Hopefully they are tucked away in a closet or box somewhere.

    ReplyDelete