Thursday, October 15, 2009

Friends and Family

As much as I hated saying goodbye to my dad, I looked forward to the Memorial service and seeing friends and family. Dad hadn't wanted "Calling Hours" but I intervened and said I thought we needed at least a small amount of time for meeting with friends and family. My husband's cousin, Lisa, came all the way from southern California. She had really hoped to visit with my father, wrap her arms around his neck, and tell him how much she appreciated him, but she didn't get here in time. Instead she spoke on his behalf at the service and came to visit Mom on Tuesday evening along with her sister, Angel. (They grew up with us.)

I met some of the cousins my father loved so well, saw friends from previous church fellowships, talked with old neighbors, and received encouragement from present friends. I wish I had stood my ground and kept it at two hours. The time was gone too fast.

Although all our visitors are special there is one who stands out in my mind. His name is Hobart Lerner and he is an ophthalmologist. Not only was he my father's and grandfather's eye doctor, but he did my eye surgery when I was just a little girl of four. His voice, loud and commanding down the hall of the hospital, could strike both fear and comfort into my young heart. Part of me wanted to hide and part of me wanted to crawl up into his arms for surely he was a great protector in that strange place. Now in his nineties, he no longer practices surgery but is still seeing patients in his office. Dad was there in August. A few years ago I got to wondering if anyone who he helped as a child had ever bothered to return and say thank you. I picked out a nice card and sent him a note. (My mom assured me he had received it as he mentioned it to her on one of her visits.) I saw him right away when he entered the church cafe and went to greet him. He held my hand, spoke kind words and lingered long. I felt the tenderness in his touch. Known for being harsh and gruff, there was no sign of anything but gentleness and sympathy. Ten years ago he was at my grandpa's memorial service. He gave me a hug and a kiss on the cheek before he disappeared into the crowd. I don't know if he stayed for the service and Mom never got a chance to talk with him. He is on my heart and in my prayers.

PS. I finally did get a video to upload on yesterday's post...

4 comments:

  1. Was he the short old man I saw?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know, Beth. He stands straight and you would never guess he is at least ninety years old. The photo is from several years back, I'm sure. I wish I knew if he had stayed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The short old man was probably George Fields, who I like to introduce as Grandma's youth pastor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, George Fields! I wish I had introduced myself!

    ReplyDelete