Monday, March 19, 2007

My Brother Tim

He looked like any other normal baby boy but there were times when Mom worried that something was drastically wrong. Her pregnancy had been normal with no complications but the labor and delivery were less than perfect. An induced labor, an inability to breathe, and a mid-forceps birth all contributed to her fear.
At first she thought he was deaf as he didn't startle like other babies, but later on she was sure he could hear. There were other things too that I don't recall. Most people tried to assure her that everything was fine, but deep inside she knew they were wrong.
My brother Tim is severely autistic. When he was a little boy he lived at home, but as he got older he became more and more difficult to control. He would run in front of traffic, go inside the neighbors houses uninvited, or just plain disappear. Today we hear of autism often and it is applied to a wide variety of idiosyncrasies. My brother was one of those rare children who spoke little, didn't learn his boundaries, and basically retreated into a world of his own. Finally the decision was made to place him in an institution where he would be safe, enabling Mom and Dad to care for their four other children.
When my sisters and I were little girls, we would often go along with Mom and Dad to visit Tim. This was an every other Sunday routine, with a ride through the country side and a stop along the way, either to pick up some snacks from a convenience store or to stop at a fast food restaurant for a burger and fries. Tim would gobble his food down as fast as he could, and then watch us as we ate ours. Inevitably one of us would break down and give him the remainder of a milkshake. I can still see the smile on his face as he finished it off.
Today Mom and Dad still faithfully visit Tim and take him out for a ride. It has been a painful road for them to walk these past 48 years as they have watched their son struggle through life. I have seen Mom shed tears and Dad shrug his shoulders as they continue on in their love and commitment. My mom and dad are a tremendous example of faithfulness, never giving up, always loving, and looking forward to that day when Jesus will once again make their son whole.

14 comments:

  1. Once again you have touched my heart. How very beautifully you write and express your feelings. A true gift. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog! You forgot to mention all those ice cream cones he polished off. Lol! I could never bear to finish mine with him watching me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a very sweet picture of you two. It's very touching, the tribute to your parents dedication. That's wonderful that they never stopped going. I'm sure the routine of that means something to Tim. What a great thought that he will be whole in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tracy- That picture is of our two brothers. Tim is the littler one in the picture, with the cute little smile. The other one is Danny, our adopted brother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry for not specifying who was who in the photo. I couldn't quite figure where to fit it in.

    Yes, the smiley normal looking baby is Tim.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a touching story. So do any of you still visit him? How about Danny?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sorry to hear about your brother.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You really should write a book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kristina, for the most part it is just Mom and Dad who go to visit Tim, though Priscilla, Rachel, and I have been out here and there.

    Danny passed away about 24 years ago, he was just 25 years old. It is a long and complicated story... I figured I would leave that out when I told about his adoption. Too sad. I'm looking forward to seeing him again someday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I guess I should have recognized Danny from the other story! I thought baby Tim looked just like baby Martha might look... :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Martha - that is so sad and sweet and precious all at the same time. Your parents are truly amazing people. What hard decision making it must have been for them. I look forward to so much about heaven - seeing those no longer with us - but I also look forward to meeting both your brothers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you all. The older I get the more I appreciate my whole family.

    Ruth, I am also looking forward to meeting both my brothers and getting to know them in a whole new way.

    ReplyDelete