Thursday, August 17, 2006

Winds of Change

September is fast approaching and with it some schedule changes for me. I will have a two year old in my house on a regular basis for the first time in nearly 10 years. (Hannah is eleven.) With babysitting comes a responsibility to stay home, play toys, read books, and make sure naps are taken on time. I will also need to keep my house clean and safe for a little one. I think God may be answering some of my many prayers in ways that I had not fully anticipated. I need to stay home and although caring for a small child requires more time and energy, I recall a time, somewhat faded in my memory, when dinner was on the table every night and my bathrooms were nearly always clean. Back then I had time to sit on the floor and build block towers, dance around the living room, and go for long slow walks around the block or to the library. I read books to little people and took a nap while they slept. I bought groceries and got my allergy shots in the evening after supper. I didn't have a computer and, come to think of it, for a long time we didn't have a television. I gave baths every morning before school and washed bedsheets every day. I had a house full of children and got so much more accomplished then than I seem to now. I'm looking forward to watching God change my heart and life once again. I'm so glad He isn't finished with me yet!

12 comments:

  1. Who's the 2 year old in your house?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A little boy whose parents go to my church. I'm going to babysit while they work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can dig out all of your favorite picture books that you don't get to read on a regular basis anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Harry the Dirty Dog and Billy Goat's Gruff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dug them out today and read Curious George and The Poky Puppy to Alysa.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking forward to a regular dinner schedule. It will be wonderful! I Love my Wife!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a wonderful change is in store for you in the very near future. Enjoy watching the little one. Your post reminds me of the time before we sot satellite tv...we got way more accomplished when we couldn't plop ourselves down and watch mindless shows...which is one of the reasons that we'll be eliminating it once our contract runs out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good choice, Vicki. We've done the same thing on our house. It was a smart move!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have so much to offer all of us. Reading these from you and your family and friends helps me keep focused.

    Thanks.

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  10. How kind you are Martha. I'm sure you will love it.

    I seemed to be better at playing with my boys when I only had three of them. It's all kind of fallen apart with four...but with God's help, I'm pulling it all back together now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't feel like I've ever "had it all together".

    ReplyDelete
  12. So do you plan on having the kids sleeping all over the house like Mom did?

    We're all destined to turn into our mothers eventually!

    ReplyDelete