Thursday, August 24, 2006

Halfway There (Almost)

The old gramma and the little girl were a lifetime apart in age. Gramma was nearly 85 and the little one probably just three years old. The little girl felt like a stranger to Gramma, there were so many years and such a world of difference between them. But Gramma had been a little girl once, and not so long ago from her perspective. Yes, she had raised eleven children of her own and watched several of her grandchildren grow into parents themselves, but she could remember being a little girl too. The years flew by and this new little girl grew. She raised a family and watched as one by one her own little ones started to grow up and move out on their own. Now, at 42 years, she has lived out almost half of her Gramma's life, Gramma lived to be nearly 95.

With the passing of time Gramma becomes more of a friend than an old lady who I never really felt I knew. Maybe someday, in heaven, we can sit down together and see that we weren't really that much different after all.

5 comments:

  1. Some day you'll be the great-grandma. Now isn't that a wonderful thought?

    What IS a wonderful thought is that some day we'll have new bodies that don't deteriorate! We'll be beautiful 4ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gramma was beautiful even when she was old!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny that she really doesn't look that old to me in that picture...although I was sure she was very old back when we would visit her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. That photo is truly a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Kristen. I do wish I had gotten to know my great grandma better. I treasure the picture from the past.

    ReplyDelete