Monday, August 28, 2006

Complete Monarchy

A couple of years ago we had the Invasion of the Ladybugs. This year it is a Complete Monarchy. I have seen these beautiful butterlies flutter past my van countless times this month. Everytime I drive down the road, there they are. On Sunday morning when we left for church there were dozens of them flying around our birch tree. It was like watching a flock of tiny birds. Tonight we watched them out the dining room window as we ate our supper and, although I knew it was getting dark, I just had to snap a few pictures. James has told me that some pictures can never really be captured with a camera, they are meant to be treasured in our minds. This is definitely one of them!
I looked up monarch butterflies and found this- "Each adult butterfly lives only about four to five weeks. But one of the many wonders of the Monarchs is the annual creation of a unique "Methuselah generation." As autumn approaches in their sites of migratory origin, a very special generation of butterflies is born. Unlike their parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, and great-great-grandparents -- all of whom had ephemeral lives measured only in weeks -- these migratory butterflies survive seven or eight months. In human terms, given our average life span of 75 years, this would be like having children who lived to be 525 years old!" http://www.worldwildlife.org/monarchs/

What an awesome God we serve.

6 comments:

  1. That is so cool! I don't think I've ever seen so many at once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandy called the other day and said there was a whole tree full of 'em down at Forman's Park. Wish I could have seen it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool! My oldest daughter would be in heaven...she loves monarchs. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just reading a book about monarchs with a group of children, not too long ago. Makes me wish I could see their migratory home high up in the mountains in Mexico. Just imagine, millions or billions of butterflies congregating in one spot. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete