Friday, September 28, 2018

Friday, Friday!

There are days at work when I rush to keep up with all that needs to be done. Today was not one of those days. Today I was ahead of the game and actually ran out of things to do well before lunch time. If it hadn't been Friday, I might have baked a banana bread. (Oh wait! I did that on Wednesday.)

After my nap, I mean lunch break, I was sent to the older toddler class. I helped a few little ones with shoes and socks and then headed outside with five little ones, one crying because she wanted me to carry her. (Ah, Sophia! I do love you!) We met another toddler teacher and five more little people out on the playground where most of mine ran off for the swings. One small child stayed behind, preferring to sit on my lap as she was not feeling well. (It was not Sophia...)

We herded wayward children back toward the group, plucked one off the picnic table repeatedly, and admonished them to "share," "wait your turn," and "be nice." Several took turns sitting on my knees and telling me stories. They are used to me bringing their meals and passing out hugs, but I rarely get to spend a significant amount of time looking after them anymore. Last summer a number of them were in our baby room and I took them for a walk every day...

The toddlers ate their banana bread snack outside and we eventually headed back in so another group could use the playground. They washed their hands, used the potty, and sat down for a cup of cool water. One of the teachers had a bottle of Pepsi on the counter and as she took a drink, our little friend Carissa looked up at her and said, "Are you drinking a beer?" Ha ha! Oh, I miss those little people!

4 comments: