Friday, May 04, 2018

Dream a Little Dream With Me

It's a cozy little place, a bit too cozy if I don't keep up with the clutter. Just a little attic bedroom, more ceiling than walls. Though I love what my father built fifty some years ago, I still like to dream of how it could be different, a little brighter and more spacious...

If money was no option I'd build a proper staircase. That attic ladder fills the bill but makes the climb and descent treacherous if one is taking anything more than him or herself up or down. Where to put the staircase is the question.

What I'd really like to do is add dormers, although this is more like raising the roof... Definitely a larger than present dormer in the back, but maybe in the front as well. Not only would it brighten things up, but it would add a little wall and head space as well. I can stand up right now, but only in the center of the room. There's probably an inch or two of space between the top of my head and the ceiling and I run my glasses, which I wear on top of my head, into it all the time. Hmmm... Maybe I could even get a backyard "balcony" out of the deal, but I'm probably pushing my luck there. (I'm pushing my luck thinking about anything at all. Ha ha!)

What will most likely happen is something a bit more like this. A fresh off-white coat of paint over old wood paneling, and a new window out to the driveway, one I could fit through if I needed to escape. The present window is old, rotted, and desperately needs to be replaced. I'm sure I could come up with funds for a bit of paint and a new window. My ceiling isn't quite so rustic as this one, but I still think a fresh coat of paint could make a big difference. The real question is, "How brave am I?" Braver than I used to be.

Dad would call this a "brainstorm." :0)

7 comments:

  1. ...thankfully you are short!

    ReplyDelete
  2. White paint would really brighten it up. It looks very cozy I have to say:)

    Marilyn from Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps I shall soon conjure up a plan. I have three lamps in here but the light they put off is mostly sucked up by the paneling which doesn't reflect much of anything. It is cozy either way.
      :0)

      Delete
  3. It looks so tiny...and to think that we shared this tiny space as girls. I was used to the space and had trained myself to automatically duck while walking around. 8 used to laugh at my friends’ reactions to the step ladder. I could go up and down it like nothing back in the day.

    I think painting it would be great! I say, “go for it.” Do you want help?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure where the 8 came from. It was supposed to be an I.

      Delete
    2. I would love some help. The paneling is a little "wavy" here and there. Not quite sure what to do about that, but I don't have money for anything extravagant.

      The entire house is tiny. I find myself wondering how Mom and Dad fit so much in here and how so many of us lived here without ever thinking twice about it being small.

      Delete