Saturday, December 22, 2012

More Adventures in Baking

Today I made more Boston Brown Bread and a batch of Chocolate Drop Cookies. Have I told you how much I love parchment paper? Well this afternoon I found a reason not to like it. (And here I thought I'd learned this lesson already. Well, that was a long time ago. Perhaps I just needed a refresher course...)

I'd already baked two cookies sheets and was putting the third into the oven. Slightly distracted by the chicken cooking on the stove, I didn't pay enough attention to my tray of cookies. I held it at an angle and the paper, cookies and all, slid right off the cookie sheet and into the bottom of the oven. Did you know parchment paper catches fire when it touches glowing oven coils? I blew at the flames but they didn't want to go out. "You can't put it out that way," said Hannah.

"And just how would you do it?" I asked.

"You have to smack it," she answered. And so I smacked it, twice, with my potholder, and the flames were gone. I looked at the burned paper and melting cookie dough... I decided to plop the entire thing back on the cookie sheet, unfold the parchment paper, and bake it anyway.

They don't look quite like the others, but they still taste good. Maybe they'll still be pretty with white frosting and sprinkles.

(Do I need to tell you My Darling laughed when he heard I tried to blow out the flames?)

7 comments:

  1. Oh my. You are having the funniest cookie bloopers!! :) I do remember your slippery parchment..and yes, I've lost a few that way...or burnt my hand trying to save them.

    But the ones in the top picture look wonderful! Do they have caramel in them?

    You know Wanda is going to laugh...just warning you. But she would have stirred all of those cookies together and a cake out of them...or brownies. lol....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and I'm glad you have Hannah around. She's the voice of common sense...wear your apron and don't blow on the flames. :)

      Delete
    2. Yes, Wanda will laugh, but if I can bring her some joy, then perhaps it is worth the effort. (No caramel in them, just chopped walnuts.)

      Whatever would I do without Hannah! I think I'm going to keep her around for a very long time. :)

      Delete
  2. HA HA HA HA HA HA...TEE HEE TEE HEE...HO HO HO. Yes, Betsy and Martha... I'm laughing. So hard, my dearest is asking me what's so funny on the computer.

    If it isn't powdered sugar...it's parchment paper. If it wasn't so funny it's be scary with the fire an all. Yeah for Hannah.. Yes keep her around.

    Oh what fun we have!!! Thanks gals...you make my days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had volcanic banana bread, cakes running over, and burnt pies and fingers. All part of the fun, I guess. :)

      I'm so glad you're there to share it all and laugh along with me.

      Delete
  3. Ugh! Glad Hannah was there for you! ;) I also baked a batch of chocolate drop cookies yesterday, as well as a batch of Russian Tea Cakes. Yesterday was a good day for baking, the wind was bitter outside...brrr!

    ReplyDelete