Saturday, December 15, 2012

The house is quiet. James has gone to see "The Hobbit" with Ben and Hannah, and Mom has gone to bed...

Bethany was here for a little while and popped into her grandma's room to say hello. Poor Mom can't seem to remember little Jacob's name and asks again each time he visits. "Oh, that was my grandpa's name." she tells Bethany and then asks "What's his middle name?"

"Alfred" says Beth. I can hear the smile in her voice as Mom acts both surprised and pleased to find (once again) that Beth has chosen a middle name that belonged to her own Grandpa. I find myself wondering if Mom will ever truly remember this little boy's name.

In January I will take my mom to visit the eye doctor. She is continually misplacing (or dropping) her glasses because she no longer keeps them on her face. I had to go back to church on Sunday to find them. They are bifocals and look ancient. I am certain she used to wear them all the time, but she says they never said she had to. I am wondering if she needs a different prescription or a Granny Chain to hang them on.

I find myself wondering if I should have taken the Christmas Eve morning appointment the eye doctor's secretary  offered, but it has nothing to do with Mom. Her doctor is 93 years old... He's been practicing for 69 years and did my eye surgery when I was a little girl. He came to the calling hours for both my grandpa and my dad when they passed away. He even gave me a hug when my father died. Dr. Lerner was a gruff, no nonsense kind of man. The sound of his voice down the hospital hall could arouse both fear and feelings of comfort in a small child, and I remember his voice these 45 years later... I don't want to miss seeing him again myself.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my Gosh!!!
    93 and still practicing?
    With the same equipment??
    :)
    Some misplace the glasses some misplace the walker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does only eye exams and only in the mornings now. Once he was a renowned area surgeon and I am hoping he isn't still using the same equipment he had when I was a little girl.

      If I find myself extremely uncomfortable with the appointment, I'll take her somewhere else later.

      Delete