Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Sad

It is a sad day here. The story will be in the news for weeks to come. It won't go away, and what we wish to be nothing more than a nightmare, is reality.

It could be just another unknown family's tragedy, but this time we are strangely connected. A house fire set by a teenage son intending to kill his family. He succeeded in killing three; his father and two brothers. The mother is in guarded condition, his sister will survive. But the family doesn't end there. There are other children, adult children, six of them. It is the oldest three who connect us to this family. They are the reason we call him "Uncle Carmen..."

So, if I'm absent for a while, it will be because I just don't know what to say...

10 comments:

  1. The 5AM news had me crying. While trying to exercise. At that point there were so little facts.

    I am so sad for everyone. Our dinnertime grace was only about this.

    I figured someone I knew would know them.

    I am sorry for your loss and the terrible, inexplicable nature of this heartbreak. You were included in my prayers, though, as we prayed for everyone who loved that family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh so very sorry! Praying for you...and all involved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew as soon as I saw the house photo and saw the street address, but hoped I would be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Martha, I dont have words to express my sorry for you and this terrible tragedy that has touch your family.

    Know you are in my thoughts and prayers

    Sending love...

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry, my friend..I'm praying! <3 (Pam)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mommy... I love you. I want to hug you and Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Martha, I am so sorry. I have been praying for the family and for your family as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a tragedy. Holding you and the family up in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is very BIG news. It was actually in the Chicago Sun and the NY Times. It is hard to make sense of it...and it still doesn't seem possible. The last time I saw Carmen, he was sitting with two of his older children at our father's memorial service.

    I'm praying for everyone too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was fighting back tears all day yesterday. It's so tragic and sad...just unbelievable. Michael said, "Things like this aren't supposed to happen in our neighborhood to people we know." They're not supposed to happen, period. I just saw Elaine and one of the boys in the Wegmans parking lot last week, loading groceries into the back of their van.

    ReplyDelete