Thursday, July 08, 2010

Taking Courage

"... Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Time keeps marching on. There is no way to stop it or even slow it down. We are on the boat for the duration of the voyage and there is work to be done.

I brought an old book home from Mom's house the other day, "All Sail Set." It is a book my father mentioned in his first journal. Though I had intended to sit down and read the book, it was my husband who picked it up first and began to read. I think what struck him most in the story was how hard the characters in the book worked and were expected to work. It was their way of life. They worked together as one unit for good of everyone on the ship. They had to. We, on the other hand, have had it so easy that when difficulties come, not only do we often not know what to do, but we are unsure of how to implement what we know should be done. Sometimes we actually know how to implement it, but lack the courage to follow through. My prayer today is for courage, courage to follow through even when the opposition is strong.

Yesterday afternoon my sister and I met with some Senior Consultants. We talked of Mom's needs, our responsibilities in the situation, and some steps to take toward resolving some of these problems. I must admit that I am cowardly and I am thankful for my youngest sister who is there to not only encourage me, but to sit down and talk with Mom too. We are starting out with a changed mailing address and an unlisted phone number. This will cut off the pleas and solicitations for money that come in by the scores each week. (Now my mailbox will be full instead.) Next comes the search for a possible new home for Mom. These are difficult days for us, but we are not alone. There are others who work alongside, lend support, and lead the way. For this I am grateful.

4 comments:

  1. That sounds like an excellent first step. Hugs to you, Martha. I know this must be so difficult for you and your sisters. What type of home are you looking for? An assisted type of place?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. She is not ready for a nursing home, but she should not be left to live alone either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember a Scripture in Isaiah when he said "I being in the way, the Lord led me."

    You and your sisters have made the first step...you are in the (way) path, now I know each step will be guided by our Lord. So many times he used open and closed doors... I think your first step is a really good one.
    Will continue to keep you all in my prayers. The book sounds so interesting. And I have loving your ship pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is hard stuff, very emotional. Thank you for encouraging me too.

    ReplyDelete