Tuesday, December 12, 2006

The Stockings Were Hung


We never had Christmas stockings at home when we were small. There were always plenty of gifts under the tree and Mom and Dad made the holiday special with their own traditions. Since Santa Claus didn't visit our house, we always opened our gifts on Christmas eve. Mom and Dad got to sleep a little bit longer Christmas morning and we were able to get up early and admire all the wonderful treasures we received with out having to wait.

When my husband was small Santa always left stockings on Christmas morning. From what I understand there were always oranges and pieces of candy along with whatever else Santa had on hand.

I remember my first Christmas stocking. It was lying at the foot of the bed when I woke up in the morning. We had gone to visit Grandmanita and while we were sleeping Santa had arrived and left us a sock full of goodies. I can't even remember what was in there, that didn't really matter, it was just the fun of receiving a stocking at all. I decided then that it would be a great thing to do with our own kids. Thus began our own Christmas stocking tradition. One year when money was a bit tight, we searched the attic and kitchen drawers and found all kinds of goodies to put in the stockings. We laughed at the looks on the kids faces because everything looked all too familiar. They laughed too and we had a great time. At least the candy was fresh.

When we moved into this house James made me a Shaker peg rack especially for hanging our Christmas stocking. It stays up all year but has nine pegs, one for each stocking. Originally we hung stockings for ourselves and our seven kids. Now that Beth and David are married we have added Adam and Leta, and have nine kids to fill stockings for. So, I am busy looking for candy and trinkets to fill up nine Christmas stockings. If I was really smart I would collect all through the year and have a whole bucket full of loot by the time Christmas came, but alas, I am a slow learner and must do all at the very last minute. Good thing for Walmart and Dollar Stores!

12 comments:

  1. Stockings are fun. Didn't we have a sock filled once or twice as kids? It seems as though we did, but maybe I'm not remembering right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think we did but it was probably more our own doing than something Mom initiated. And it wasn't a regular occurance. What was in those socks, do you remember? And who filled them, us or Mom?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How come I can leave comments on your blog, but no one elses? Have you sabotaged my computer so you could have me all to yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, Blogger is doing something strange today. I can leave comments on the other blogs but only with my google account. This is still a blogger account blog so it still likes your comments. I don't know what is wrong with the others but hopefully they'll get it fixed soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that looks really great, so many stockings! (by the way, you don't look like you have seven kids and more...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think mom filled them with candy, yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a slow learner too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where's the chair that I usually hang my coat on?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The chair?
    It isn't there.
    I moved it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, Gudrun, I like the way so many stocking look too. And... how do we expect someone with seven kids to look? Hagard, I guess. I've been there plenty of times.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cool idea for hanging the stockings on. I need to get a rack like that. And I really should collect all through the year as well for stocking stuffers but alas, I'm also thankful for Dollar General. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, Vicki, it is a great place to hang the stockings. Although, I'm thinking I might need another some day...

    ReplyDelete