Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Anticipation, Disappointment, Relief


We had a wonderful Christmas gathering with our family yesterday. The best part of Christmas for me is when the gifts have been opened and the giving pressure is relieved. Somehow that attempt to please everyone and keep things balanced always proves to be quite stressful for me. I'm glad when it's time to eat and we have the chance to sit around, play a game or two, make a puzzle, or have some dessert.
This year I decided to surprise my oldest daughter at Christmas and order her a handmade French silk purse. It looks like the one pictured here but a different color. The biggest part of the surprise was not the purse, but where it came from (http://gingerabernathy.com/) so I was anticipating Bethany's reaction when she opened the gift on Christmas day. She is the most likely of all my kids to give a really good reaction and I was really looking forward to it.
When the blizzards hit Denver I was a little concerned that my package might not arrive on time. I wasn't sure whether Ginger was still in Boulder, Colorado or if she had moved to Portland, Oregon. Turns out she is in Portland so my package arrived here on Friday afternoon in time for me to wrap it and put it under the tree. The only problem is that Beth answered the door when the mail was delivered. She tried to tell me she didn't know what was in the box, she hadn't seen what was in it and "let's just rewind and pretend I didn't" but it was too late! She knew and I was so disappointed in missing her Christmas day reaction that I couldn't help but cry. (I surprised even myself in doing that, but I'm not sure why.) By Christmas morning I had recovered from my disappointment and we had a great time opening gifts and sharing with each other. I think I learned a valuable lesson but I'm still trying to figure out exactly what it is.

11 comments:

  1. How do you know you learned a valuable lesson if you're still trying to figure out what it is? LOL, you are so funny! I can see myself crying over something like that too. The purses look really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my new purse... Hmmm... Maybe Adam can take me somewhere "high society" now and he won't be embarrassed of my hand bag... (j/k)

    Thank you so much Mom! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rach, I think I learned not to set my expectations too much on anything. And I learned how silly I can be going to tears over such a little thing.

    And now I'm getting a new purse too! I won the free handbag drawing and I hardly knew there was one. I was entered automatically when I ordered Bethany's and I never win anything so I didn't even remember there was one. I was shocked to find I was a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But the gift is loved and THAT is all that matters! Silly girl, there is your lesson and what you should learn! LOL! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats!!!! God is smiling on you. And letting you know that you are a winner in His book!! (And in mine too.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Shelly. I was just thinking about calling you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The purse is nice. Congrats on being a winner. Did Ginger select your name at random...or was it a little bit on purpose?

    ReplyDelete
  8. She said "It is somewhat ironic that you should win.....I advertised a pre-holiday sale, so anyone who purchased a bag online automatically earned an entry into a drawing to win a free handbag. The more bags you purchased the more entries you earned." I vaguely remember reading that but I didn't think I would ever win.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet story, with a cute twist at the end. Valuable lesson but not sure what it is... Funny, I think there are a lot of those in life. :o)

    So I take it you know this Ginger in Portland? Why, I think you should come out and visit her. And while you're in Oregon...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, Ginger used to be family, but... Well, you know how things go.

    ReplyDelete