Friday, December 29, 2006

Grandparents


These are my grandparents. My father's mom and dad on the left and mom's parents on the right. I have many memories of Grandma and Grandpa P. We ate dinner with them, stayed overnight at their house, and had them over for birthdays and other special occasions. Grandpa and I shared 35 birthdays together (mine is March 22 and his March 24). He lived to be 95 years old. I thought he would live forever... Grandma suffered from something like Alzheimer's so her last years were spent in an institution where she would be cared for and kept safe. She was an artist, a talented cook and lived well into her 80's.

My other grandparents both died before I had a chance to know them. Grandpa C. died of a heart attack when I was just a year old. I'm told he loved children and enjoyed watching people. He was a practical joker and a stern disciplinarian. Grandma C. went to be with Jesus many, many years before when my own mother was just five years old. I know she loved Jesus and left behind a well used Bible. She struggled with health problems (heart/ lungs) and died of pneumonia in 1940. She left behind four small children.
When I look into the faces of my grandparents, now passed on, I see little glimpses of my own parents, my sisters and brother, some of my cousins, and even my own children. Looking out from those eyes is something very familiar. Hey, that's me in there too!

4 comments:

  1. Hey, do I see me too? I love grandparents and always have wished that I had known the three I never met.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really neat when you look at them and see the traits of other family members. I wish I had gotten the chance to get to know mom's parents, but someday I will.

    ReplyDelete