Monday, May 04, 2020

Work, and Stuff

I went back to work this morning. It did not make the world go back to normal. We had a grand total of 9 children, and three of them belonged to staff. I had four hours to load the breakfast dishes into the dishwasher, make and serve lunch, clean it up, and set out snack. Needless to say I had a little downtime. All staff wore face masks. I do not like face masks. They are hot and make breathing difficult, they steam up my glasses, and make it impossible to see when glancing downward. Yes, I do know why they are required, but I still hate them. I pray a day comes soon when they can be put away forever, but I am beginning to doubt that will ever happen. In spite of hating masks, I had a very nice snuggle with a 16 month old who did not want to let me go. That makes going back and wearing a mask worthwhile. (I also realized my first day at the daycare was exactly three years ago today. That's cool.)

I'm still copying Dad's diary a little at a time. I have 7 months down. A little here and a little there, and maybe I'll eventually get all five years of this book on paper. My heart aches as I read the story of them putting their small son in the care of a state school. I can only imagine their anguish.

July 7, 1964, Tues- Words can't express the grief we feel for our little Timmy. We took him out to Newark and left him there. Our only comfort is that we're sure the Lord is with us in all this, and somehow He'll make the sun shine again. This is a terrible experience. Very tired. 11:25 PM

I wasn't even four months old, scarcely old enough to smile...

6 comments:

  1. That diary entry made me cry. I can only imagine their pain. I wish there had been a better way back then. What a nightmare that must have been.😭

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are more to make you cry, just in case that one wasn't enough. Yes, a terrible nightmare. Days before they left him, Dad said it all seemed like a bad dream. I've read these pages before and cried.

      Delete
  2. This brings tears to my eyes. We are dealing with something similar with a "granddaughter" from Son's new marriage...heartache but not the time for details yet.
    God knows...
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often wonder why God permits such heartache, but I also know His ways are best. Prayers for your son and his family.

      Delete
  3. I am sure that getting back to work makes life a little more normal, but I can imagine that without all the kids there, it can be quite different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a normal about it, and an abnormal. It also chops up the day in a way I'm no longer used to. I am readjusting.

      Delete