Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Cars, cars, and More Cars

This small child loves cars. He learned to recognize makes of cars on our walks, going from asking what kind of it is, to naming them himself. "Ford." "Chevy." Mitsubishi." ... Hannah's made a game on her tablet so he can practice.

I think this love of automobiles is genetic. I had a son who used to ask, "Mom, what kind of car is that?" I typically missed the car altogether, and if I did happen to catch it likely didn't know what kind of car it was anyway. I recall answering "Green" once just because I didn't know what else to say.

Yesterday after work, before I sat down and fell asleep, I went to fill my gas tank and restock my coffee supply. While i was in the store, I picked up an Auto Buy magazine for my small grandson. He was thrilled. And in a later conversation with his uncle, I found that it was Ben's favorite magazine too. "I used to love those things," he told me.

5 comments:

  1. That is so cute! My boys loved those free car trader books. I remember them getting tractor and boat ones as well. I'm always clueless when it comes to cars. The last two I bought, my youngest son would do the research and would tell me to go to a specific dealer and ask for a certain person. When I did, they already had the car my son recommended!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cute. It will be interesting to see if this continues as he gets older.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Martha, this so reminds me of my older son Steve. He had a passion for cars and had the best collection of Hot Wheels ever. Of course the ones that are considered "Collectible" and valuable today are the ones he exploded with his fire crackers...As an adult he is forever kicking himself for destroying them...but what fun he had doing it.
    He could also name everyone on the road.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is also my son Jonathan. When he was little, he would correct everyone who didn't call him by his chosen name, Dodge. The Auto Trader was appreciated too, and my girls always liked the free real estate magazines...anyway, your little grandson is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so wish I had better appreciated my own son's love of cars, nevertheless his continued love of them inspires me to encourage my daughter to appreciate her son's infatuation.
    Jan, he loves trailers too, except for the frustration of when they unhitch themselves.
    Wand, Ben loves cars to this day, so I'm thinking it might stick.
    Sue, what is it about little boys and destroying cars? Mine smashed them with rocks. Oy!
    Della, that is too funny about Jonathan wanting to be called Dodge, but hey, it's a great name.
    :0)

    ReplyDelete