Sunday, May 03, 2020

Two Hikes

It was a beautiful weekend. The weather was perfect, bright sunny days and mild temperatures. Yesterday we took two hikes with a short nap between.

Our morning walk took us to Ellison Park where we took the lower path to the sand dune and walked the upper rim. Lots of up and down climbing. As usual, I was behind, distracted by the wildlife, the adorable couple in front of me, and the familiar feeling of connectedness I have with this particular park. Both my parents lived within walking distance of this park, one as a small child to young teen, and the other as teen to early twenties. It can feel as though a part of me belongs here, especially when I remember childhood picnics.

It was a beautiful hike

Our second hike, in afternoon was at Tryon Park. It was new to all of us. A mountain biking trail on the edge of the former Ellison Wetlands, there was an abundance of well worn trails here too, and the familiar up and down hiking. I dragged my feet and took a ton of photographs.

Today there was no hike, but I did take a walk around the block with my sister and her boys. Tomorrow I go back to work. It will be a short 4 hour day. I'm not sure what to expect. Things are still kind of crazy with the lock down, social distancing, and the wearing of face masks. I've loved being home with my daughter and grandson these past weeks and am somewhat happy I'm not jumping into an 8-hour day right off the bat. Getting up at 5 am would not be cool. Ha ha!

8 comments:

  1. I hope your day at work goes good. It is scary to think of being out in public at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will the kids be at the daycare?
    That scares me.....
    Be safe my friend🙏🏻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of my coworkers have children who will be there. Other than that I don't know. It doesn't feel scary though.

      Delete
  3. You have the best places to hike. My dearest and I "hiked" around the playground 3 times and the complex once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do have some great hiking spots. I took so many pictures!
      But I like your kind of "hikes" too. Do laps is always good.
      :0)

      Delete
  4. Happy and sad you are going back to work.
    This "off" time has been such a special time for you and the family. I'm glad you could connect with some friends too.
    I loved all the photos of the hikes and flora and fauna. Have to admit they got me a bit "winded' too.
    After not walking together (Dave and I) we are back at it again. Felt good to roam the neighborhood.
    Wish we here in Cal. could get back to the new normal..our Governor is really into power plays..okay, I won't get political...I really dislike it...but he sure can push our buttons...
    This is Monday so I hope your first day back went well.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are nowhere near normal here in NY. We may be 5-6 hours from NYC, but we've been under all the same restrictions. The only reason we are back at work is that childcare is essential and we're hoping to be ready if and when things do begin to resume. We have a Governor like yours, or maybe worse, except that he hasn't passed out the list of can-do's yet.
      I still hope to hike, but today I'm just tired, and it's cold and wet out there.
      :0)

      Delete