Thursday, May 07, 2020

In Other Woods

It was a good morning and I came home from work feeling cheerful, but the cheeriness was short lived when I let myself be drawn into the political controversy. I've been managing fairly well, at least outwardly, until today, and to make matters worse it was with someone I love more than life. Truth be told, it doesn't matter which end of the spectrum one is on if we can't be kind. I am often disgusted with both ends, and yet I am the only one responsible for my response. Frustration and self defense so often get the better of us and in the end it brings forth misery and sorrow. Oh, Lord! Help me!!!

I needed a walk this afternoon so Hannah, Idris and I headed for the village. On our way back toward home we took a different route... We went through a piece of woods I haven't visited in over 40 years. Hannah had second thoughts, but somewhat grudgingly followed her crazy mother. I am so grateful for her cranky, compliance as I have long wanted to revisit the little creek that flows through this all but forgotten place. I hadn't lugged my camera along, but in my back pocket I had my "not-so-smart" smart phone with a halfway decent camera. God smiled and blessed me with sunshine as we neared the creek deep in the woods.

What a beautiful gift.

Getting back out of the woods was a bit trickier than getting in. A housing development sits in what was once a farmer's field and the little trail along the edge of the woods is long disappeared. It's a good thing Hannah had a great sense of direction. We emerged from the trees at the neighborhood park where Idris took a forbidden trip or two down the playground slide and then we headed home.

On our way back around the block, I saw a woman struggling to get her groceries into the house. I wanted to stop and help, but this crazy virus almost had me walk on by. As I was passing her driveway, I realized I had a face mask in my pocket. I decided to put it on, take a chance, and help her. She seemed grateful and I found another neighbor who grew up here in the neighborhood and is living in her childhood home.

6 comments:

  1. So sorry about your episode...is that the right word for it? That's why I have to be so careful with political stuff. It's so emotional for most people.
    Glad you got out for a walk. After we had a little burial for Koty, we got out for a much needed walk as well. It's been a super emotional day for all of us. Not sure my eyes will be back to normal for a couple days, after all this is my allergy season too, and that comes into play when I cry a lot. I guess I "ugly cried" today because I sure do look ugly. Looking for another dog to love might sound morbid so soon, but we're thinking about it. Something is missing here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am typically careful to a fault, until I'm not. :(
      I a so very sorry about Koty. He was the best little dog and he will be greatly missed for a long time. It isn't morbid to look for another furry friend. It's a longing to fill the hole left inside by his absence.
      I love you, Rachel.

      Delete
  2. Martha, God gives grace to the humble, so you're going to be more than okay! Peace definitely comes at a price, and I admire that you are willing to pay that, and I hope things go much better and things can be fixed. Your walk sounds fun, and those childhood places are sometimes hard to revisit, so magical in memory, then they go and build more houses! I personally think every child should have woods to play in...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was one of my kids and that makes it even harder, but I think we'll be okay. We are still talking and I love this child more than anything, like I do all of them. I only wish we would all be kinder.
      The walk was lovely. And yes, all children should have a woods to play in.
      :0)

      Delete
  3. I am so glad you responded to the Lord's promptings..blessings were there for you.
    Happy you could walk "down memory lane" too.
    Political "chats" will be the downfall of us. I sure try to stay out of them..
    Hope your weekend will be wonderful.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate politics more with every passing year. I'd like to believe it wasn't always quite so divisive, but I'm afraid it was. I do try hard to stay out of them. Now I will be trying harder.

      Delete