Friday, December 14, 2018

Thankful and Blessed

Wednesday evening I came home after work. I was tired from being up at 5 am that morning and had just finished a cup of hot, white chocolate when my phone rang. It was James on the other end. He asked how I was and then said, "I didn't know who else to call. I rolled my van..." He assured me he was okay and after we hung up, I gathered my things and drove off into a very dark, cold night, not entirely knowing what to expect, and praying he really was as fine as he said. 

I don't have GPS and he was in a rural area between Canandaigua and Keuka Lake, on a dark country road. "Once you get to the road, " he said, "You'll see the flashing red lights." I had to call him when I found the wrong "Middle Rd" which wasn't too far from the right one. The policeman helped give me directions to the right place and I think we were both relieved when I finally arrived. It was pretty surreal seeing his full size, utility van, full of his tools, laying on its side in a snowy cornfield, the front windshield badly mangled. I know it could have ended so much worse, but haven't let my mind go there.

We have our struggles, but there was no hesitation in my going. I wouldn't have thought to stay home or send someone else, and if it had been me who'd been in an accident, he is the first person I would have called. I know he would have come to help me too. I am grateful he called and thankful he escaped without injury. I wouldn't want it any other way.

6 comments:

  1. ...I would expect nothing less from you. Life sure takes turns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does. I am grateful this turn is nowhere near as dramatic as it could have been.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yes. Thank God because so many things could have gone wrong.

      Delete
  3. I am thankful that he was not injured and I am glad that you were kind enough to go out after him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't think of telling him to find someone else. I really do love him.

      Delete