Monday, June 11, 2012

Tried and True

The Married Couples' Dance... Yup, they called all the married couples to the dance floor. Nate and Sabrina made a mad dash for each other and the music began to play. Round the floor twirled the happy couples and then began the process of elimination. "Anyone married less than 24 hours." "Five Years." "Ten years."

I had never played this game before, at least I didn't recall playing. I looked around the room. It was small crowd. There were only a few grandmas and grandpas dancing. I looked at My Darling and smiled. "You know, we have a pretty good chance of being the longest married couple," I said. He didn't think so, but I knew something he didn't know...

"Twenty-five years," called the DJ and the parents of the bride took their seats. Round the floor went My Darling and I and the parents of the bride's father. I was getting nervous. "Thirty years," and the last remaining grandma and grandpa left the floor. (A second marriage will do that...) We were asked how long we have been married. "Thirty-one years June 20th." The rest of the song was ours to dance alone. On and on sang Kenny Rogers and on and on we danced, ... or tried to. I do have two left feet and become extremely self-conscious when all eyes are on me. I looked at James, I smiled, I talked to him. I desperately tried to ignore the watching throng...

Finally the dance was over and the bride and groom were called to face us. We were asked to give the newly wed couple some advice on making a successful marriage. There in front of us stood my grown up boy and his beautiful wife and our minds went blank. James tried to hand me the microphone, but I really thought he should have some words of wisdom, after all that would give me a little more time to think. (I can't even remember what he said... ) "Lots of prayer and forgiveness," I finally said. "And it's 100/100, not 50/50."

Funny thing is I have been thinking all along that I should have some words of wisdom for my children as they grow up and marry. When it came right down to it, I was put on the spot and didn't know what to say. I think I'm going to have to do something about that. :)

6 comments:

  1. I hate being put on the spot like that in front of a crowd, my mind would have probably gone blank too. You were right in what you said though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, what a cute story! And how wonderful! Love the photo, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How Special...Love the song you danced to with Kenny Rogers. I think the advice was good!

    Years ago, when we celebrated our 40th we renewed our vows in a ceremony, and they played that same song...but we didn't dance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a sweet picture of you and your Darling.
    good advise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think "lots of prayer and forgiveness" go a looooong way to making a good marriage:-)

    ReplyDelete