Thursday, June 21, 2012

Drawing a Blank

I must say that all too often I come to write and end up staring at a blank screen with an equally blank mind. It isn't that nothing is happening in my life or that I have nothing worthy of sharing, but recent events have left me not only tired but unsure how to put into words what I am thinking and feeling. Often the thoughts most forward in my mind remain unspoken. Such has been the case in recent weeks.

I still struggle with emotions that well up over the relational difficulties within our family. I miss the two small tornadoes that occasionally tore through our home and their little sister as well. I am sad when I stop to realize that I have basically missed the last six months of my granddaughter's life. Mostly I try not to think about it, but she will celebrate her first birthday in a little over two weeks and that leaves a painful lump in the back of my throat. It isn't that I don't try to reach out and it isn't that I haven't seen them at all, it is mostly that I am making an attempt to figure out where the line is. The line of backing off and reaching out can sometimes be difficult to see.

A week or so ago my son got beaten up in a bar. Drunk and an instigator, he chose the wrong female to harass and someone knocked his lights out. I understand he woke up in the hospital and couldn't even remember what happened. This is the son who sets a fatherly example for my three small grandchildren. This is the son who only a few years ago sat by the bedside of his dying grandfather and read scripture. This is the son who lead the junior high youth group at church just four years ago. I love him to death and I am heartbroken by the choices he is making. He wants me to be proud of the man he has become... I can be impressed by his landscaping skills, enthralled with his cooking, and touched by his love for his children, but I am afraid that the man he hopes to be is fading into what should have been instead. Where is the son who made me proud? What has happened to my boy?

My mom has spent the last week and a half at Rachel's house so that James and I could have some down time and recover from his recent surgery. I have to say that giving my brain a rest from the responsibility of caring for Mom has been much appreciated. Next week Priscilla will come to stay here at our house with Mom while James and I take some time away from home. Our initial thought of traveling up the coast of Maine to Nova Scotia is not feasible at this time, so we will be spending some time instead hidden away at a Bed and Breakfast in the Finger Lakes. We're planning on taking some fishing poles along. Maybe I will finally get a start on that plan to love fishing.

10 comments:

  1. :'(

    We keep praying here. By the grace of God, we can have hope. Much love Mommy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sweet Martha - I am praying for your son and your sweet grandbabies. As a Nana myself, I know how it hurts to see them hurt! Also will be lifting you up to our Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Martha, my heart aches too. I know how it feels to see an adult child make terrible choices. After the many many months Jill spent in the hospital, on strong drugs...when she was released, she was addicted...it cause so many heartaches as she made so many wrong choices, wouldn't go to rehab, and made life miserable for all of us...but by the Grace of God..fast forward 20 years...she made the change, she admitted her problem, and got help. There is always the second chance, third change...etc, etc. Every time we're together, she says, Mom, thanks for never giving up on me."
    So, we keep loving them, and keep praying for them...I'm praying for him, and that you and James will have a marvelous little getaway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post made me tear up. I am so sorry for your heartache, Martha, it must be awful. My heart aches for him and his family and for all of you. We will not stop praying for your boy.

    I'm glad you are enjoying some down time. Mom has done well, and has actually stopped asking when she will be returning to your house...until this evening. It has been a bit of a crazy week for me since I had to work 4 days in a row (this was to make up for a day cancelled due to the death of my boss's dad last week). The boys have been here for company though, and I have set out her pills in her cup every morning, made sure the tea kettle was filled with water for her coffee, bought her a newspaper from Wegmans, set out her breakfast, made her a lunch, and wrote her a note...before leaving for work in the morning. In spite of the extra morning duties and having to get up a little earlier, has been a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hurmph! Sometimes in my past experiences and in raising A child, I learned you have to hit bottom pretty hard before you can dig your way out of the hole.
    faith and love, faith and love. Stay strong and true to your self.
    love you.

    ps; Rachel I knew you could,I knew you could, you silly little engine. faith and love to you too. (tell Dave I ate a fluffer butter Sammie and thought of him) yum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! beyond all that are those Blueberrys? Really yum

    ReplyDelete
  7. Martha, so sorry! I continue to pray for your boy, too! His story is not done, yet:-) I hope you and James have a fabulous time away. You do have some pretty good sisters:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep praying. I'll pray too. We Christians don't seem to comprehend the power of prayer. If we did, we would pray constantly. God help us realize the effect of fervent prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Martha how my heart feels your pain and it is my prayer that one day soon there will be no more strife and struggles...enjoy your time with James love you my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. :(
    Does it seem to cliche to point out that none of this surprises God? He is faithful. And we can go to Him in our grief and bolding ask for the healing we desire for your son.
    I'm sad for his wife and children, too. I pray that SHE knows God is there for her prayers, too.

    ReplyDelete