Friday, March 30, 2012

Brain Overload

Either Facebook has sapped all my creativity or my brain is overloaded. Most days I sit and stare at the computer screen waiting for some bit of inspiration that I thought was rising but suddenly seems to have vanished. I have accomplished little today.

I did however play giant Legos with a small girl, read Peter Rabbit, and take a very nice nap. The sunshine outside has been calling, but the cold wind blew the door shut. The vacuum cleaner is standing in the middle of the living room, and my folded laundry thinks it lives in the baskets. Mom still needs a shower, I have paperwork to do, and when James asks me questions I don't know how to answer. Perhaps the week of little sleep plus migraine is the reason.


Whatever the case, I am thankful. My book of 1000 Gifts remains my friend and the list continues to grow. I smile when I realize that I am thankful that my mother still has her own teeth, never had a driver's license, and will likely never be prone to wander. She's been tethered to that oxygen concentrator for almost eleven years and would never get far without it. Blessings? Yes, I do think so. I'm also thankful for dirty diapers, runny noses, and toddler laughter. It fills an empty spot that would otherwise wax achy and sore. Lest you think my journal is full of the ugly, let me assure you I am thankful too for sprinkles of daffodils throughout my yard, soft green grass under my bare feet on my March birthday, and skies full of twinkling stars. There were peepers in the orchards on those few warm nights and we even slept with our windows open. This week I am grateful for the woodpile that remains on my back porch, along with the loveseat that lives there in the summer. Life is a learning experience. Perhaps my brain is just a little overloaded at the moment.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Martha, how I enjoyed reading your gift list again.

    Mine was growing tonight, as I was sitting refecting, and jotting down gift after gift being close to that dear woman. She had become like a Mom to me...so my list grows too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wanda, you have been and will continue to be in my prayers. There are so many thoughts and emotions connected with letting go.

    I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really should do a 1000 list, too. It sounds like a lot, but there are so many things to be thankful for!

    Did I miss your birthday this month? Hope it was lovely.

    We have warm sun and cold wind, too. But today the sun is gone as well! Hope you have a lovely day. Sometimes, good days can't be defined by productivity. ha.

    ReplyDelete