Friday, March 23, 2012

What's to Eat?

The dinner hour, that ordinary time of day that strikes fear into the hearts of unprepared moms and housewives. I'll be the first to admit, I'm not very good at planning meals and I have gotten worse with time instead of better. Honestly, there are nights when the Magic Wok is mighty tempting.

Last night I had planned ahead. I purchased a nice sized hunk of corned beef on Saturday, along with some sauerkraut, Swiss cheese, and Thousand Island dressing. James brought me some rye bread and we cooked up some absolutely wonderful Rubens. Too bad I didn't think about what to have with them... No chips? What was I thinking?


Tonight I didn't know what to do. I thought we might finally use that beautiful little gift certificate a friend sent us several weeks back. I thought it would be nice to take Ben and Hannah out, but then I was reminded of Mom. I know some of you are thinking, "Why wouldn't you just take her along?" but I honestly think it would have quickly taken all the "relaxed" out of the evening. Mom doesn't even like to go out anymore. Suddenly I remembered that nice looking package I had seen while rummaging through the freezer yesterday. It was something yummy left for us by Grandmanita. Wasn't I just missing her yesterday? And now here she was again to save the day and make us dinner. No wonder I want to be just like her when I grow up!

6 comments:

  1. Ooh..both of those dinners look yummy. We used to have corned beef a lot when I was growing up and I've never made it! But I remember loving it! I should try it again! Love reubens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Rubens too...now when I eat one I think about our sister day when we left Bob and Ruth's restaurant because no one wanted to serve us, and we went to that other place and ordered yummy Rubens. :9

    How nice of Grammanita to make you guys some freezer dinners!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's easy when you throw it in the crock pot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grandmanita saves the day again!!! She is pretty terrific!!

    ReplyDelete