Tuesday, February 08, 2011

D is for Donut

D is for donut! (Or is that doughnut?)

D is for Dunkin Donuts and also for Donuts Delite. Dunkin Donuts is okay. We stopped there briefly twice on Saturday. The story is here. I like their donuts and muffins, enjoy their Dunkacinnos, and find them conveniently located. (There are three between here and Walmart... oops, make that four.)

When I was a little girl there was a different (different than Dunkin) donut shop very close to where my father spent his first fifteen years. It was one of a kind and made the very best donuts in the entire world. To this day, whenever I think about donuts, my mind immediately goes to the delicious confections my father brought home on rare occasions. My favorites were the powder covered jelly donuts and the jelly inside was nothing short of yummy! I understand they carried 8-9 different kinds of jelly donuts. I suspect my favorite was probably strawberry or raspberry.

Donuts Delight, much to the dismay of loving locals, closed down in 2005 after nearly 50 years in business. Too much competition from chain stores like Dunkin, Krispy Kreme, and Tim Horton's put a lot of pressure on the small local business. The story does, however, have a happy ending. Another local business man decided to buy, restore, and reopen Donuts Delite. He even has the original donut recipes! There were many very happy customers. Me, I rarely get any farther than Walmart, but I'm thinking a trip to the other side of Irondequoit Bay may be coming in the very near future... I want to get some of these. Click here. YUM!

And to think I thought about featuring Durian fruit...

Click here for more of ABC Wednesday Round 8.

15 comments:

  1. That donut looks delicious! I haven't been there since it reopened. We don't get donuts very often, but when we do, we usually get them from Wegmans. We think the Wegmans ones are better than Dunkin Donuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been think donuts ever since your previous post about them.

    I trying very hard to not give in as my waist line is not what I would desire. And donuts are part of the reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The donuts looks so delicious I want one right now. Great D post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dunkin' changed its formula/recipe in some of their donuts; not as good.
    Indeed, donuts always look better than they taste, to me.
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  5. That chocolate covered donut is my favourite! We have all kind of cookies and cakes in my country the Netherlands, but no donuts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad that the local donut store reopen his store. It's more yummy to buy in local stores because I think their fillings is more home made and it does taste good. For now I have Krispy Kreme Donuts. ^_^
    ABC-Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like a story with a happy ending. You apparently live in a donut heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That last line was hilarious after reading about those delicious sounding donuts. Durian evoke such an opposite reaction in me!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kristen, I have but one experience with durian and believe me, it wasn't pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's an Asian fruit that smells really, really bad, so bad that it is banned in some places.

    ReplyDelete