Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The Ghost of Christmas Past (c. 1967?)




This is me back when all I had to worry about at Christmas was finding out what was under the tree. Looks like I'm about 3 or 4 years old here. We probably took a trip or two to mid-town plaza in downtown Rochester to go shopping and walk through the Christmas tunnel at Sibley's. They had all kinds of life-size winter and Christmas scenes; snowmen, carolers, trees, churches, and probably Santas too. Santa Claus was at mid-town too but we didn't usually pay much attentiion to him. Mom and Dad preferred to tell us the truth about Santa and tried to keep the focus on Jesus. At home we watched all the old Christmas specials; A Charlie Brown Christmas, Frosty the Snowman, Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer (very scary!), The Little Drummer Boy, and of course, How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Ahh, to go back and enjoy the holidays free of the rush and pressure!

6 comments:

  1. Hey, do you have the one of me when I opened my doll? I was about 3 yrs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute picture! I loved watching all those old shows when I was little. Heck, I still do...we have them all on tape. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember going downtown too. That Christmas exhibit was always fascinating to me. I loved each display of all the moving elves. Cute picture of you. Good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. See the little doll with hair like me? It's Heidi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe it's almost December! Maybe cuz it's almost 70 degrees outside. I'm no complaining mind you. LOL. Just makes it hard to believe that Christmas is around the corner.

    BTW, give me a call and we'll set up a date to do the gingerbread houses!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, you didn't have this written up when I responded. I love all those old Chrismas classics too. I don't remember going to Midtown a lot, maybe once or twice.

    ReplyDelete