Thursday, August 15, 2019

The Many Adventures of Martha

It's no secret that I've been tired this week, but I must have been totally out of it last week if the mistake in my banking was my doing...

A few months ago I decided to try paying my bills online with Bill Pay offered by the credit union through which I do my banking. It's easy. I set up the contact information, and the credit union prints and mails out the check. Works like a charm! Usually...

Last night I decided to pay my Kohl's bill. I opened Bill Pay and scanned my contacts. On my way down the list my eye caught something unusual. I was about to pay out a very large sum of money, more money than I have in my account. Instead of $46.12, I'd okayed a check for $4,612.00. I tried to cancel the payment online, but didn't find the option, so I comforted myself with the fact that it was dated for Friday, August 16 and went to sleep.

I work near one of the credit union branches, but made an early morning call to them rather than waiting for my lunch break. After explaining the issue, waiting for them to look up my account and do some research, they told me they would put a stop payment on the check at no charge. Honest mistake, longtime customer. And then they suggested I make a call to the company receiving the check and ask them not to process it.

I am relieved to say everything appears to have been successful. The representatives from both companies were very kind and helpful, and the credit union is sending some paperwork to extend the usual stop payment time to six months in order to ensure it never gets processed. Once again I am thanking God for taking care of me in such and incredible way.  As they say, "God watches out for old fools and little children" and apparently middle aged blonds as well.

Stopped into the pottery studio after work this afternoon. I'm missing one sculpture, the one in my header photo, but I found these waiting on the shelf. They made me smile.

6 comments:

  1. ...I love your little people, you have developed at great style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tom. My favorites are those on discarded bowls.
      :0)

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you actually got to speak with a human for your dealings. I hate getting caught up in the loop of press one...press two...and never a live person.
    Yes, God does look over us for which I am grateful.
    I sure have Art Envy for your sculptures. They are fabulous Martha.
    Glad you found some waiting for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a week of surprises that's for sure.
      I am quite pleased with the sculptures. Maybe one day I'll have a few to sell.
      :0)

      Delete
  3. Such beautiful statues. I feel that they showcase the love of a family. I am thankful that your bank account was protected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hopeful they will convey love.
      And yes. So am I. Love my credit union!

      Delete