Saturday, August 17, 2019

Blond and Very Tired

So, here I am again. I should be turning off the light, snuggling into my pillow and drifting off to sleep... but I'm not. It's likely to be another one of those nights when I listen to a past sermon online and fall asleep to Pastor Rob preaching. At least I stay awake when I'm actually in church.

It's been a week of craziness. I returned home from my long weekend last Sunday night and took a glance at the photos I'd taken. There weren't too many. I had a few from my jaunt into Delaware. Couldn't go there accidentally without a few pictures... The building in first picture I looked at seemed terribly familiar, almost exactly like one here in Webster. I even pulled a photo off Google Maps to compare the two. They were eerily similar, right down to the trees in front of the buildings. I showed it to Hannah who made a remark about the Twilight Zone. Ha ha!

Number Nine was crying in his room and Hannah went off to perform her motherly duties. I went back to staring at the photographs. I was completely amazed! And then I noticed the signs in my photograph. I zoomed in and took a closer look. They were signs for route numbers, 250 and 104... I suddenly felt terribly foolish. It wasn't a picture from Delaware at all! It was one I snapped while stopped at a red light on my way out of town Friday morning. And here I had been going on and on about how the buildings looked so much alike...

I seriously considered never mentioning it again. I glanced over at Sergio who was watching television. I didn't really want him to know his mother in law is a nut case. What would he think?! I wandered sheepishly down the hall to where Hannah was comforting Idris in the dark of his room. I kissed the child's head and that of his mother, and went back to the living room. On the way I found myself smiling at my silliness. It was suddenly terribly funny. "Hey, you know those two buildings?" I said to Sergio.

"Yes," he answered.

"They're both the same one," I told him, and we laughed. This evening when I drove past it, I heard myself say, "Martha, you're such a dork," but I was laughing at the same time. When Hannah came home tonight, I asked her if Sergio had told her about my silly mistake. She smiled and said, "Yes. He did."

Now that I've caught up with myself a bit, and I'm not so tired, maybe I can stop doing crazy things... or maybe I can just enjoy the ride

3 comments:

  1. Oh Martha, I truly love that you could laugh at your self and sharing it with those you love didn't dampen your heart.
    Baby steps to your heart being filled to the tippy top with joy.
    I came home exhausted last night my self. I am offically a "sometimes" care giver for my friend of 58 years. She is early alzheimers now and lives with her daughter. I have gotten my IHSS (in home social services certification. Now I can get some pay and help out at the same time. When Karen needs a break I can stay with her Mom, fix dinner etc. until she gets home. The repetition of questions and trying to be patient and helpful is tiring.With God's constant help, I can do this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can, and because you already love her it will be just a little bit easier. Laughing at myself is imperative, just like having flowers.
      I am inspired by your love. Thank you.

      Delete
    2. I'm glad we found each other through Wanda.
      You are a blessing and I love your raw, unfiltered journey you take me on.
      Sue

      Delete