Thursday, August 01, 2019

Bits and Pieces

* Summer makes days at the daycare unpredictable. I know I'll be working in the kitchen between 9 am and 1 pm, but other than that I never really know for sure. Tomorrow morning I start at 6:30 in the toddler room.

* I've nicknamed one small child "Rembrandt." You don't want to know why... What? You do want to know? Let's just say he found something rather gross to paint the walls with. And he made it himself. And now the room must be steam cleaned and sanitized.

* I love our babies. And toddlers. And three year olds. And UPKers. And school aged kids. I hate Thursdays in the summer when those Thursdays are Ice Cream Days. Not all children have $ for ice cream. Naughty children are threatened with losing their ice cream all. day. long.  Some naughty children have nothing to lose since they aren't getting ice cream anyway and therefore find tormenting the teacher a source of entertainment. (I am not the teacher.) Hate Thursdays in the summer. Love the kids.

* This week I managed to make several trips to the pottery studio. Only time will tell if the trips were worth the while. Well, as far as the pieces go. Spending a little time with my hands in the mud is always worth the while.

* I'm a little better every day. (I emphasize progress over perfection.) Had a very nice lunch with my friend Marlene yesterday afternoon. Knowing I'm going to get out early is nice. We needed a lunch out and yesterday was the perfect time. I also had late afternoon/evening time to go out with Hannah and Idris to the Carter's Store and Trader Joe's. All time well spent.


6 comments:

  1. Ice cream should be included in cost of daycare
    How sad for the kids
    And threatening them to lose it
    Goodness
    As a retired educator, I could not have done that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They still get an afternoon snack, but that is not the same as ice cream. I cringe every time I hear them threatened. There has to be a better way.

      Delete
  2. Oh how awful for the kids that can't afford ice cream. That would break my heart. Taking the ice cream from them for punishment seems a little harsh too if it is supposed to be a treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I hate ice cream day in multiple ways.

      Delete
  3. It's mind boggling how "CREATIVE" some kids can get.
    Oh my what a stinkin' mess.
    The threats and the have and have nots makes me sad.
    It would make Thursdays not so happy for me either.
    I am so happy you are getting out more and seeing friends and really enjoying that time together...
    Baby Steps to healing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If our director had her way we'd give them all ice cream for nothing, but she isn't the owner. I told her the little guy who torments the teacher "has nothing to lose."
      I do love moments spent with friends. They help me so much. It's the reaching out on my own that I struggle with. It is just another area where I need to grow.
      :0)

      Delete