Sunday, February 03, 2019

The Barn Collective

I have no idea how old the remnants were when my dad loaded them on his trailer and hauled them from NY's southern tier 80 miles north, but my guess is they were already close to a hundred years old. Dark, with deep weathered grooves and full of character, just the thing to panel our new "country room."

It was the late sixties, several years before it became the in thing to do, and the neighbors were asking "why?" Maybe it was because he'd grown up in and out of his uncles' barns, or maybe because he'd always wanted to be a farmer. I don't really know for sure, but for all except the very early years of my childhood there have been barn beams across the ceiling and barn boards covering the walls of that little room. Dad would add an old wood stove in the mid seventies. So cozy!

We don't use the wood stove anymore (kind of a fire hazard...) and the barn boards make the room dark, but with new carpet it's once again become the favorite room in the house. For my daughter, it's Grandma and Grandpa's house, but for me it's home. Always has been and always will be.

For those who want to know, "Yes, I was brought up in a barn."
:0)

Meet me over at Tom's for more of the Barn Collective.

6 comments: