Friday, February 08, 2019

Pottery People and A Sleepover or Two

My oldest daughter has been out of town so her three children spent a bit of the week with Aunt Hannah. I'd intended to spend a few evening enjoying my grandkids after work, but it turned out to be a rather busy week. A staff meeting on Tuesday and the Thrsday evening invitation to dinner from a CoDA friend, took me out the two evenings I would have been home. (Strange how that works...)

I made a quick pottery studio stop on Wednesday evening to look for my boxes. I didn't find any finished, but did find something else, a sculpture I'd made and tried to fire at home back in 2005. It hadn't finished firing and the glaze was dry and cracked like sun-baked mud. I left it on the bisque shelf a week or so ago, along with a note asking if they could refire it for me. I had no idea what to expect, but hoped for the best. I was pleased to see the glaze had melted in the second firing. It made me smile.

I got home that night just before the kids headed off to bed and was rewarded with the opportunity to read my granddaughter a few stories before she went to sleep. I read the stories, she said a little prayer, and I laid down next to her for a little bit. When I attempted to leave, she started to cry. I know at home she very often climbs into bed with her mommy, and I knew she was missing her, so I put my head back down and settled in for the night. Once or twice she woke up with a cry, noticed I was still there, and went back to sleep. Last night I grabbed my pillow and we had another sleepover. I don't think she woke up at all during the night and I slept too. It was a good slumber party. Maybe we'll do it again someday. :0)

2 comments:

  1. I am in love with that sculpture! It is amazing. How sweet to have a sleepover with your grand daughter. I love to snuggle up with mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol. This sculpture shows a little piece of my heart. They were two very quiet sleepovers. I was blessed to find her able to settle and to know I made a difference.

      Delete