Sunday, November 13, 2016

Hey, Chicken!

The weekend is just about over. It was a good one as far as weekends go. We did a small bit of rearranging in the living room, the last of cleaning up after our spring kitchen remodel. Coat rack on the wall, a chair or two by the wood stove, and space for Christmas tree after Thanksgiving. Last night we had a family gathering in honor of Ben's 23rd birthday. It was a wild party. ha ha!



The chickens go to bed early these days. By five thirty they're all in the cage and heading up the ramp to the coop. This afternoon we stapled some cardboard on the northeast corner to block some of the winter winds, should that kind of weather ever catch up to us.

The girls aren't laying quite as many eggs these shorter days, but we get enough to get us by, and so far, still enough to share.

 Strange creatures. The hens like me, I think, so long as I don't try to touch them. :0)



I think Coq au Vin shall always eye me with suspicion. The feeling is mutual. I'm pretty sure he's an idiot.


But a nice looking one.



4 comments:

  1. I must say they are nice looking, but all the worK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've been a good distraction this year. Turns the property into a real live farm.
      :0)

      Delete
  2. What happens to the chickens when it gets really cold? They are really pretty chickens I have to say. I really like chickens, but I wouldn't trust the boy! :-)

    Marilyn from Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The general idea is to let them get used to the cold gradually, like they would have in times past, but their coop is built under the shed roof of our barn so it is somewhat protected anyway, and we do have a heat source if we need it.
      No, that boy s not trustworthy. He's a naughty one! But he does take good care of the girls.
      :0)

      Delete