Saturday, February 07, 2015

A Drive Through the Park

I'm waiting for My Darling to call and tell me he is done with his meeting. Our plan is to meet up somewhere between here and there for a bite to eat. In the meantime, some final photos from yesterday to go with the two posts below...

Mendon Ponds Park is an remarkable place. Not only do the birds on the Birdsong trail eat out of your hands, but the deer are exceptionally friendly too. They wander about seeming unfazed by the traffic that ambles down the park roads. We saw a group, all dressed in their fuzzy winter coats, hanging out by a pile of wood chips. They didn't mind that we stopped to take their picture.

Farther down the road we came upon a second group of deer. I stopped, rolled the window down, and took their picture too. And then, because they seemed genuinely interested, I started to talk to them. I don't know what kind of interaction these deer have with people on a regular basis, but they appear to have little fear. They're almost like pets, except that they aren't.

In my glove compartment I had two cookies, Voortman's Cookies, the round kind, with sliced almonds on top. "Do you like cookies?" I asked the first deer. I broke a piece off and tossed it into the street whereupon, she picked it up and ate it. (Deer do like cookies.)

By the time we ran out of cookie pieces, three deer were standing so close to my van that they were in the opposite lane of the park road. It was only slightly nerve-wracking, but really not at all. The thought of an angry deer attacking me only fluttered briefly through my mind. Our cookies gone and a car coming from the opposite direction led us to go on leaving the cookie loving deer behind for another day.

Oh, my goodness! Aren't they cool?

10 comments:

  1. Aw. That just might have been more fun than the chickadees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or maybe just as much, at least from the safety of my vehicle. I'm not "nerve-wracked" at all when it comes to chickadees.
      :0)

      Delete
  2. Martha your photos are just fabulous! Honestly 😊😊 You really have an eye for getting it just right. I just really enjoy looking at all your pictures. Amazing.

    Marilyn from Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marilyn. It's great fun and very satisfying when a photo comes out looking good. I enjoy photography very much.
      :0)

      Delete
  3. Hi Martha....
    What "deer" photos these are...
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute story and great photos. You could win contests.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Priscilla is right...a wonderful story book and photos.

    ReplyDelete