Sunday, September 14, 2014

Chilly Weather and a Load of Firewood

We jumped directly from short sleeves and flip flops to layered clothing and shoes with socks in just two days. I guess I can be doubly thankful for the load of wood waiting just off the back porch. It arrived Thursday afternoon and is getting stacked a little at a time. I did a little, and Hannah and S. did a good chunk yesterday afternoon. (I rewarded them with warm apple pie and ice cream...)

As much as I love fall, and as much as I look forward to the cool, crisp autumn temperatures, I wasn't quite prepared to say goodbye to summer quite yet. Don't we have another week left? Ah, well, I would have missed it anyway. I'm going back to summer for the next week and I intend to enjoy every minute of it. I'll worry about long sleeves and sweaters when I get to Minnesota, and hopefully by the time I come home again there will be some pretty autumn colors to enjoy.

For now though, I'm going to make a point of smiling at that big ol' wood pile every time I walk past it. And maybe, when I'm on my way back to the house, I'll toss a few more logs on the wood pile and make a few more plans for an October Bonfire. Somebody's got to eat up all those marshmallows we've collected from previous gatherings. Maybe I'll even have a few.


6 comments:

  1. I could smell those pies from here!
    That is one big load of wood.....and so nicely split!
    Getting ready for your trip?
    Enjoy your evening....
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a very nice load of firewood indeed!
      I will be packing my bags tomorrow.
      Ready or not, here I go.
      :0)

      Delete
  2. I''m getting my last minute things done too, awaiting your arrival. Cookies and scones so we will have something to munch on with our coffee so we can just visit face to face. Sending love and prayers for sweet dreams ....good dreams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Wanda! I am looking forward to giving you a great big hug. I'll try to sleep on the plane so that I'm awake when I get there.
      :0)

      Delete
  3. Sofie's all settled in here already. She enjoyed her day watching our neighbors across the street have 2 huge trees cut down and the stumps removed, and she enjoyed a chewy stick too! She also set Koty straight when he thought he needed to let her know that he was the boss around here. Have a fun trip! Praying for safety. xo

    ReplyDelete