Sunday, July 19, 2020

Round and About

There was a bridal shower yesterday. I made a slight navigational error and ended up taking "the long way," and although I wasn't really lost, I did call upon Tom to help me. "When possible, turn around," he told me. I was a little confused at his suggestion, but I complied. About a half a mile back the other direction he said, "When possible, turn around." Ah, Tom! Now you've got me going in circles! Of course, I turned around again.

In the Finger Lakes area of NY state, not only are there Finger Lakes to navigate around (there are no bridges over them), but there is another, smaller obstacle once known as "The Seneca Army Depot." (It is now mostly deserted, but is home to a rather unusual herd of white deer.) I had taken an early turn onto Rt 96 and totally missed my chance to take Rt 96A and was now on the wrong side of "the cage." Tom took me to Aunt Laurie's house the back way so I didn't have to drive all the way into the town of Ovid, NY. Laurie's house is on a hill overlooking Seneca Lake.

On the way home, this time on 96A and the opposite side of the Seneca Army Depot, I found one of my favorite barns. Each time I pass I'm afraid she will be gone, but so far she stands, albeit a little less steady. Her back is bent and bowed, her boards and shingles tattered, and yet I find her beautiful. She's looked across the road at the Army Depot in Romulous, NY it's entire life and even outlived it in purpose. She is brave and fearless.

My drive took me through Amish country. I saw farms and wagons, some men building a house on Geneva Rd, and a wonderful field of shocks. So much more interesting than the rolls of hay and straw left by farm machinery.

I was back home by five o'clock for a small birthday gathering in Hannah's honor. She turned 25 yesterday. How is my baby 25? I didn't really take pictures other than this one of Baby Henry cooling off in a tub of water. He's growing so fast and is so cute.

10 comments:

  1. ...you enjoyed a beautiful part of the state!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I wish I could drive through your part of the country. I was only in Amish country once and loved everything about it.
    Sometimes getting "lost" is the best thing.
    Glad you had celebrations to go to this weekend.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only wish I had time to meander through Amish Country. While we sat out back at the shower, the wagon and horses in the first picture ambled up the hill. The children waved as our heads popped up over the hedge. I need to take another ride and get completely lost.
      :0)

      Delete
  3. I see my friend Victor has paid you a visit. A very interesting fellow! I love your drive..the only thing better would be if I could have been in the passenger seat. We just don't have drives like that in CA. Yes, I agree with Sue, sometimes getting lost can be a great adventure! Love and Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh. how fun it would be to have you and Sue along! I was afraid of being late for the shower on the way, and concerned I might be late for the party on the way home. Even so, stopping to take a picture or two seemed right. CA has things we don't and we have things you don't. It's what makes life interesting.
      Love you so much!

      Delete
  4. Oh how fun! We drove down to Cortland yesterday to pick up our car, right down between Owasco Lake and Skaneateles Lake, so beautiful! We drove on roads I've never been on (we went past a lavender farm!), and saw gorgeous houses, rolling hills, sprawling farms. We live in such an amazing state, who would believe it's New York? I'm glad you stopped to smell the roses a bit. During the beginning of lockdown, we started doing Friday rides, it was really fun. Gas was cheap, nothing else was open...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to go on one of those leisurely, ambling rides. NY is about so much more than The City, and yes, it truly is an amazing state. It's full of rolling hills, mountains, lakes, waterfalls, rivers, farms, flowers, orchards, vineyards, and so much more. We are so blessed.

      Delete