Thursday, December 17, 2015

Reminds Me of My Dad...

Whose Fields Are These
by Russ in Sonnet

Whose fields these are I think I know.
They were my father’s long ago,
but sold to farmers living near:
two men who’ve yet to come to mow.
I come in gray disguise of year
to search for yesterdays more dear,
so they’ll charge me with no misdeeds
for walking in their meadow here.
In northern clouds the sun recedes,
and summer now, to fall, concedes,
but I have come once more to find
a warmer day among the weeds.
Those warmer days are now confined
to memories concealed behind
the shroud of years that clouds my mind,
the shroud of years that clouds my mind.

Quite honestly, this poem reminds me of both my parents, because it was my mom who used to quote the poem "Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening" by Robert Frost, and she quoted it often enough for me to recognize it hidden here. I don't want to lose this version, so I'm parking it here for you to enjoy and me to find later.
:0)

2 comments:

  1. Your family are such musicians and poets...a wonderful legacy. This one is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once thought it was just my dad who loved poetry, probably because he would sit in his rocking chair reading Ideal Magazines and he so often quoted old poems like "The Wreck of the Hesperus," but Mom had memorized several poems in her high school English class and she had a love of it too. No wonder my mind is full of rhymes and verse.
      :0)

      Delete