Sunday, December 20, 2015

Contentment

But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that.
1Timothy 6:6-8

It's almost here, the Big Day, and I'm about out of time to prepare. I'll have a few hours Monday and Tuesday, and a few more Wednesday... Maybe I'll pull it all together, and maybe what we've already done will have to do. Conversations lately have revolved around the pressure we always feel to live up to the season's expectations, either our own or the perceived expectations of others.

I've been blessed to find that we somehow always made Christmas special for our kids, even if it meant raiding attic to fill stockings. (Yes, we really did that once.) They never got extravagant gifts. Shoot! Some years they were lucky to get any gifts at all. Christmas trees came from the back yard at least once or twice, the Charlie Brown kind, and our kids were grateful. While I feared disappointing them (and still do), they instead, by going without, learned to appreciate the little things.

We will have gifts this Christmas, little gifts, and we will have food. We will have a warm roof over our heads and we will have each other. What more could we ask for?

2 comments:

  1. I've always just loved the togetherness of family for Christmas.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. It will be our first Christmas without Jimmy. I think I shall miss him tremendously.

      Delete