Wednesday, October 26, 2011

O is for Osage

O is for Osage Orange which I know little to nothing about...

however my friend's artist husband evidently found them interesting enough to paint. The painting hung on the guestroom wall when we stayed there overnight and I happened to snap a picture. (It was one that caught my eye online and there it was for real, right in my room!)

I did a little googling and found the fruits of the Osage orange are also known as "hedge apples." This little bit of information jogged my memory. A fellow blogger once wrote about "hedge apples" so I went back and looked it up on her blog and there they were! Evidently they smell much better than black walnuts...

To see the other participants in the new round of ABC Wednesday, click here!

10 comments:

  1. I wonder if they are named for the Osage Native Americans.. see how PC I can get..that does stand for Politically Correct right?
    I have never sniffed one..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard some people use osage oranges to deter spiders and box elder beetles. I have no idea if they really do though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judi, you are good. :)
    I suppose one is named for the other no matter which way it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah, we have hedge apples here...but I've never heard them called osage oranges!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think we have orange hedge Osage apples around here...

    ReplyDelete
  6. talk about mixing apples and oranges!

    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  7. BEautiful painting! Worth a possible trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of my former cleaning customers used to put them in a bowl to decorate in the fall.

    ReplyDelete