Sunday, January 04, 2009

Twenty-One Gun Salute

Candles, why do I always forget the candles? How can a birthday be celebrated if there are no candles to blow out? Isn't that the whole reason we have birthdays, so we can blow out the candles? What kind of a mother forgets the birthday candles?

Yesterday we had a gathering for Josiah's 21st birthday. We thought it would be fun to make some traditional New Mexican foods and cooked up a nice big pot of posole which never "popped". It still hasn't and I'm not quite sure what we'll end up doing with it. Good thing we had a good backup plan. We had pulled pork sandwiches with Uncle Ralph's barbeque sauce. I made a cherry cheese pie and we sang the birthday song for our very favorite Josiah who once was just a small boy and now is an official grownup. I wish I was better at planning celebrations but by the time I figure all this out, I will likely be too old to get it all together anyway. I hope my people will forgive me in this area of weakness...

I LOVE YOU, JOE!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

10 comments:

  1. Okay Martha Stewart, how could you forget the candles? I bet you all had a fun party, and that is what counts. That picture of Josiah is so sweet....how come they grow up so fast? But we are so lucky, or should I say blessed, to have it so good with our adult children. They are great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Candles? Thanks for the reminder. Maybe I'll buy some my next trip to town and actually be ready for the next birthday in our family--the end of March! Trust me, I'm usually scrounging for candles at the last minute.

    I'm sure your celebration was wonderful, candles or not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joeks, it's nice to know I'm not the only mom who forgets the candles and has to scrounge. Unfortunately, I didn't find any.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have forgotten them too. I have been known to stick tapers into the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks anyway Mom. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's why you have children, adult children, they are there to cover your mistakes, errors, oversights, forgive you and take care of you. :) That's my thought. What do you mean "pop"?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was dry posole. It is supposed to swell up and pop, kind of like popcorn,... kind of.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like you gave him a great celebration! Congrats to your 21-year old!

    ReplyDelete