Sunday, August 16, 2020

A Pocketful of Lake Glass

Yesterday morning I found out it was the birthday of the friend I was planning to visit that very afternoon. Although we have been acquainted since childhood, our time together has been limited. I didn't want to arrive empty handed, but I had no clue what she might like either. I shot up another prayer. "Lord, please put in my mind something to buy that Gail would like," and then I went to Wegmans. I came out of the store with a package of fresh strawberries, a bag of salted caramel, dark chocolates, and two bottles of unsweetened black tea. Then I headed out to find my friend Gail at her cottage in Holland's Cove along the shore of Lake Ontario in Williamson.

I was on my way down Shepherd Rd when a text came over my phone. I pulled over to look and there was a message from my daughter Hannah. Someone in Williamson offering elderberries to the community. LOL! I sent the woman a message and went on my way to visit my friend.

Gail and I sat on her porch, ate strawberries, sipped tea, and talked. Thunder was already beginning to rumble in the distance when we took a walk down to the beach. It wasn't forecast to rain so we hoped we would be safe, but we weren't. Ha ha! With my pocket full of beach glass, we headed to the cover of a nearby cottage overhang. Thankfully, the rain didn't last long and we were able to resume our walk.

A few hours later I messaged the woman with the elderberries again and told her I was on my way. Along the back corner of her property, just outside the fence along a well loved park on the lake, was a drooping tree full of ripe fruits. She was giving them away. While she went back inside to cook supper, I snipped branches full of dark, black berries and set them in a paper bag. I couldn't help but smile on the way home. God sure does know how to give abundantly!

2 comments:

  1. He gives even more than we could ever ask.
    I wish I could have a pocket full of Lake Glass...it sounds so beautiful.
    I'm working a 10 hour day today caring for my friend of 60 years. She's in the beginning stages of Alzheimers and her daughter can't leave her alone while she goes to work. I do get paid for doing it but it truly is a labor of love.
    So difficult to see my friend disappearing right before my eyes.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you ever looked for sea glass on the shore? I don't know if the ocean gives it's glass the same way the Great Lakes do. Most of what I found the other day were itty, bitty pieces.

      Alzheimer's is a terrible disease. No wonder it is called the long goodbye. So very sad. I am sorry to hear of your friend. She is truly blessed to have you care for her.

      Delete