Saturday, February 01, 2020

Growing Pains

Pottery class last night, therapist this morning.

 A late afternoon cup of coffee, half decaf, got me through the class without feeling like falling asleep. The last figure I glazed is out of the kiln. I was initially disappointed in the glaze, but the more I look at it the better I like it. It adds to the mood of the piece in an unexpected way, and although I think I know what happened to cause the effect, I am not entirely sure I could duplicate it. (The damp glaze must have rubbed off on my hand when I turned it over to wipe it off the bottom.) I'm not sure what I would call it if I were to give it a name. It is not quite so troubled as the one I called "Disappointment".

There were tears this morning. Unexpected tears.  My kids. They have been, and still are my greatest joy. I never imagined feeling so separated from them and so helpless to remedy the resulting ache deep inside. Once upon a time it was easy to schedule family gatherings, but today I feel crippled. Instead of planning dinners I am finding reasons why not to plan them. This is self defeating and crippling. It isn't good self care, and it isn't helping heal our brokenness. (*breathe deep*)

Tomorrow morning I have a short meeting with the woman who brought Celebrate Recovery to our church. She is not the leader, but has great influence over those who are. She was also once my eleventh grade English teacher. She is not warm and fuzzy, yet I know underneath is a caring woman who will (hopefully) hear the cry of my heart. I am going in response to my therapist's encouragement. I am not the only one to be hurt by this particular group. I need to be a voice for not only myself, but others as well. This is hard. I hope I don't cry. That would make my mascara run.

7 comments:

  1. Your small pottery figure expresses eloquently what your words say. I say go ahead and cry, let the mascara run. I hope your meeting with the lady will be a healing one for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Terra. I will take a washcloth and my mascara along, just in case.
      :0)

      Delete
  2. Yes Martha, it's ok to cry...I think it shows how painful and unresolved the situation really has been for you.
    CR is suppose to be a safe healing place. Prayers for your meeting ...be truthful, don't just be a victim...show your resolution. You are loved my friend.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have any mascara left after church...
      There were things about a step study that weren't fully communicated, and there are deep, deep hurts within me that probably need to be healed in another venue. But the meeting went well and I felt like she was listening to my heart. Perhaps my therapy sessions need to go back in time farther than I originally anticipated.
      Thank you for your love and prayers.

      Delete
    2. You may be right about the sessions. I'm so glad the meeting went well and that you were really listened to...that's healing in itself. Continued prayers for more healing and finding the right places for that to happen.
      Enjoy the rest of your Sunday with or without mascara...(:0)

      Delete