Friday, March 24, 2017

Lily White's Party

When I was a little girl my mom or dad, sometimes both of them, would tuck us into bed at night. First we knelt by the side of the bed and said our prayers, me, Priscilla, and Rachel, and then Mom or Dad. Prayers were always followed by hugs and kisses, often in multiples, and quite often, before we actually went to sleep, there was a call for a drink of water.

I shared a bedroom with Priscilla for most of our childhood. We would talk in the dark before settling down, starting with whispers that sometimes escalated into loud laughter, especially if the game involved throwing our stuffed animals back and forth between beds. One of our parents would then come down the hall or call out from the other room. "Hey! Quiet down in there and go to sleep!" and we would remember once again to talk in whispers.

Most nights one or both of us would find the need (or desire) to get out of bed and head for the bathroom, and then on the return trip there would come the rush of excitement, a mad dash down the hall, and a wild leap under the covers before whatever lay in wait underneath the bed could grab us by the ankles, drag us into their lair, and devour us. Most often the imagined villain was a witch.

As we grew into our teens the bedtime routine gradually changed and Mom and Dad no longer always tucked us in at night. I'm not sure when it happened, but I still recall the nights when I would lay awake in the dark and suddenly realize that Dad had not come to give me that hug I so desperately loved. I don't think he knew how much it meant for him to come in kiss my cheek or head and wrap me in his arms before I drifted off. I still miss that and think I always will.

10 comments:

  1. Our bedtime routine has changed drastically from what it was just a few years back, from tucking in several-everal kids, taking almost a few hours to get them all settled, to now just saying goodnight. I still tuck them in sometimes, but mostly just hug them goodnight and they read until they fall asleep. I remember being little and pretending to fall asleep on the couch, in hopes that my dad would carry me to bed.:) It's good to be reminded how much kids crave that attention, and those hugs. Life goes by too fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember pretending to be asleep in the car and hoping Dad would carry me in. :) And, I remember the time he picked me up in his arm, my arms wrapped around his neck, and looking over his shoulder when he said, "You're getting to big for this." It was a sad day. ;)

      Delete
    2. And this is not Josiah, of course. I have just accidentally hijacked his google account again.

      Delete
  2. ...my mom also had a Lily White's Party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you "hit the sack" or "climb the wooded ladder" too?
      :0)

      Delete
    2. Blast! I keep posting as Josiah!

      Delete
  3. I know I miss tucking my kids in, but I am thankful that I can do with my grand doll sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Carol, and now that I am posting as Joe, I may as well keep at it.
      :0)

      Delete
  4. Those night time tuck ins and prayers are some of my fondest memories too.

    ReplyDelete