Saturday, October 01, 2016

Hearing His Voice

Yesterday Rachel and I went to feed the chickadees and take pictures on the Bird Song Trail at Mendon Ponds. Today we went to a women's conference at her church.

It feels like it's been a long time since I heard God talking to me. I often know what I should be hearing and sometimes I know what I should be doing, but actually "hearing" Him speak? That hasn't happened in quite some time. Until today. I heard Him today. And I realized I've been hearing him before today too, I just wasn't certain exactly what He was saying.

Each morning I check my "On This Day" app on Facebook. It was a quick check this morning. Just a few minutes to see this post from six years ago. "The true test of our spiritual life is in exhibiting the power to descend from the mountain. If we only have the power to go up, something is wrong.... We are made for the valley and the ordinary things of life, and that is where we have to prove our stamina and strength." -Oswald Chambers.  I considered sharing, but I was in a hurry and I didn't. I was amazed to hear one of the speakers read the entire devotional when she shared. Had the part about "descending the mountain" not caught my attention earlier, I'd have missed hearing it altogether.


Then there was my sister, who leaned over and whispered something about the painful experiences of life changing us for the better. And she hadn't read my blog from yesterday... The first two speakers had both faced the terribly painful life experience of losing a child. The agony of loss and the faithfulness of Christ had brought them out today to share the gift of hope with the rest of us. Grief has left these gentle mothers soft and tender. (Angie Smith, and Mindy Sauer)


Perhaps not finally, I also heard God's still soft voice in the mention of Romans 8:37, which I had left in response to a friend's request for a favorite scripture verse just yesterday. "Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us."

I should have taken notes at the conference today, but I was too busy listening, wiping tears from my eyes, and trying to tuck some treasures away in my heart. I'm sure there are pieces I missed or have already forgotten, but I also know that God repeats Himself more than once when He wants us to hear His voice. I'm already wondering what He'll have to say tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing that verse in Romans, it was exactly what I needed to hear today. I am battling with some personal issues and I must say that my valley is not my own, as I will conquer it with Him at my side

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He always know exactly what we need, Carol. And He never leaves us, even though it can feel dark, scary, and lonely at times.

      Delete
  2. The conference was wonderful yesterday. I love gathering together for worship, and hearing the testimony of God's faithfulness in people's lives. I know he's been with me and has guided me through my own life struggles, and to hear how he's done it with others too is touching. Yes, there were many tears. It was beautiful. So glad we went. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a beautiful day. Thank you for inviting me and thank you for the tissues. I knew it was going to be emotional as soon as you sent me the invite.
      :0)

      Delete