Saturday, August 23, 2008

The Very Vicious Vines

Picking blackberries is dangerous business! These thorns show no mercy and grow not only along each and every stem, but on the underside of each leaf also. It is not possible to pick any decent amount of fruit without being stabbed by at least several of these tiny hooked spears. We have finally gotten a little smarter and decided to wear those rubbery-pawed garden gloves while picking.
So anyway, Ben, Hannah, and I went out to Webster and beyond this morning. We stopped in Joann Fabrics to look for kid craft ideas and then headed over to Target where I picked up a portable crib. Beth needed hers elsewhere and Josh still needs a place to sleep at Grandma's. I think with another grandson on the way, I should have one of my own anyway. We also went to Michael's where I went in to look around and Ben and Hannah waited in the van. Along with a couple craft ideas, I found a treasure, a rocking chair! It was marked down to $23.99 from $99 and I have been thinking about finding one of these for the past couple of days. Now I have to sand, paint and stain, glue and assemble it. Another project to help keep me busy. As long as I finish some of these adventures they will be well worth getting into. Speaking of finishing, I think I need to go make another balckberry pie.

7 comments:

  1. Picking blackberries is on my adgenda for tomorrow. Got the surejell and lids today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have the gloves? Or are you actually picking black raspberries which I don't think are quite so cruel?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds fun. I wish I lived closer to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to Joanns Fabric today Too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a youngster we had boysenberries, and they had thorns too... but oh the berry cobbler my mom would make, made it all worth while.

    Sure wish I could have a slice of that pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream....Yummy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed some blackberries in my yogurt this afternoon, along with some bananas and some strawberries too. I think the gloves are a great idea for picking off those dangerous plants.

    Great deal on the rocker!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the berries you're getting lately sound wonderful! We need to try to get some raspberries started here again. My SIL says I can have some starts from her plants.
    Have fun with the rocking chair project. I presume you'll post a photo for us when you're done!

    ReplyDelete